Thread: Wireless connection dropping on DLink DIR-615 router

Wireless connection dropping on DLink DIR-615 router

I am facing some issues with wireless connectivity with my DLINK DIR-615 router. I have a Macbook Pro which is installed with MAC OS X Snow leopard on it. I have a DLINK DIR 615 wireless router which I use it to access internet. From few days I am not able to access the Internet using my Macbook Pro. I dont know why the Wireless connection is dropping on DLink DIR-615 router. Therefore if anybody has any solution/suggestion then please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Re: Wireless connection dropping on DLink DIR-615 router

Check the configuration of the router first before doing any further troubleshooting. Sometimes the configuration of the router changes when some device is connected or disconnected from the network. If the configuration of the router changes then the devices will not be able to access the router. Therefore log in to the router and open the configuration page. Contact your ISP and get the required settings. Check if the router is configured properly according to the settings provided by the ISP. If there are any changes to be made, then do it and save the configuration of the router. Restart the router and see if the problem persists or not.

It is possible that the router is not able to handle the traffic generated by the Macbook and hence the wireless connection is dropping. Routers work on algorithms which is known as Firmware. If the firmware of the router is not up to date then the router will not be able to handle the traffic created by the device which is connected to it and hence will terminate connection. Therefore connect the router to the computer using a console cable and try to update the firmware of the router. Visit the official website of the manufacturer of the router and download the latest firmware which is available for the model of the router which you are using. Install the firmware and see if the router is working properly or not.

The problem can be due to the Macbook also. If the network card of the Macbook is not working properly then it wont be able to maintain connectivity with the router. Network card is responsible for establishing and maintaining the connection to the network. If the network card is faulty then you will face such problems. To check the NIC, ping 127.0.0.1 from the Macbook. 127.0.0.1 is the IP address of the software interface port for testing. Check if there are any errors in the data sent and received. If there are any errors then the NIC is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Most of the problems which are faced by the MAC system are solved by doing a PRAM reset. Sometimes invalid entries are stored in the system RAM. If the system RAM is flooded with invalid entries then the system will not work properly. To clear all the invalid entries from the RAM of the system, you will have to perform a PRAM reset. To perform PRAM reset, shut down the computer and locate all the following keys (Apple, Command, R and P). Press the following keys while booting the computer. Keep the keys pressed till three startup chimes are heard. Once 3rd startup chime is heard, release the keys and let the system boot normally.

smile Re: Wireless connection dropping on DLink DIR-615 router

The problem here is that the DIR-615 is a pre-N router. Its 802.11n speeds are not compatible with modern 802.11n systems. What happens is that when your smartphone/laptop etc connects it does so at a compatible rate. But then the wireless link changes to the highest speed available. At that point the two ends of the connection become incompatible and the link breaks.

If you connect to the DIR-615 with equipment using 802.11bg, everything will work fine. The problems arise with equipment that also supports 802.11n as well (most modern equipment does).

To fix this problem, you need to reconfigure the DIR-615 to only use 802.11bg rates. After doing this you will find that everything works fine. I had to do this at a hotel which was using 6 DIR-615 access points set to default settings which is 802.11bgn. An old laptop worked OK, but my tablet and my friends iPad didn't. Reconfiguring the access points meant that the iPad and tablet also worked fine.

Mike