Thread: Compaq Presario V6420US not detecting Wireless network

Compaq Presario V6420US not detecting Wireless network

Hello there, I have recently bought a Compaq Presario V6420US laptop which is installed with Windows Vista operating system. All the functions of the laptop work fine except the wireless connection part. I have a linksys wireless router which is used to provide the internet connection to my computers but my Compaq Presario V6420US is not detecting Wireless network. The HP wireless assistant on the computer disappears frequently and I have to re-enable it from the BIOS. Is there any problem with the laptop? Please help. For additional information, I have installed all the updates which are available for Windows Vista.

Re: Compaq Presario V6420US not detecting Wireless network

HP wireless assistant is getting disabled on its own, I think the problem is with the BIOS of the computer. The BIOS of the computer is responsible for saving all the settings which are required for booting and proper working of the computer. If the BIOS is not able to save all the settings of the computer then the system will not work properly. Therefore you will have to get the BIOS of the system upgraded. The upgrade for the BIOS will be available on the official website of the manufacturer of the laptop. Download the updated BIOS and install it on the computer. Once the BIOS is updated, you will not face the same problem.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Check the configuration of the router before doing any troubleshooting procedure. Sometimes the configuration of the router changes when any device is connected or disconnected to the router. If the configuration of the router changes, then the devices will not be able to access the router. Therefore check if the router is configured properly. To check if the router is configured properly, login to the router and open the configuration page. Contact the ISP and get the proper settings for the router. Check if the router is configured properly and if there are any changes to be made, do it and save the configuration of the router. Reboot the router and see if the laptop is able to connect to the router.

Network card installed on the computer is responsible for establishing and maintaining connection to the network. Therefore if the network card on the computer is not working properly then the system will not be able to connect to any network. All the Network cards have a software interface port configured which can be used for testing. To check if the NIC is working properly, click on the Start menu and select Run. Now type "Ping 127.0.0.1" and hit enter. Check if there are any errors in the data sent and received. If there are any errors then the NIC is faulty and needs to be replaced.

As you have mentioned that the you have installed all the updates which are available on the website it is possible that some of the update must be conflicting with the HP wireless assistant due to which the system is not able access any network. Therefore I would suggest that you reinstall the current version of the operating system from the system and install a fresh copy of the operating system on the system. Once the operating system is reinstalled, dont install any updates and check the if the laptop is able to connect to the router or not. If the laptop is able to connect to the router, then install the updates one by one and see which of the update is creating problems with the wireless connectivity.

As the laptop is new I would suggest you to take the laptop to the authorized HP service center and get it checked. All the HP products have a warranty of 1 year. Therefore take the laptop to the service center and get it checked thoroughly. The technicians at the service center will check the laptop and list all the problems which are faced by the laptop. If the laptop is under warranty, then it will be serviced for free. If there is any hardware to be replaced, it will also be replaced for free.