Thread: Lan port not working after upgradation

Lan port not working after upgradation

Please help me as I am in real trouble. Recently I upgraded the motherboard on my computer to a Intel motherboard which supports Quad core processor as I had to install Windows 7 on my computer but now Lan port is not working after upgradation. The computer is connected to Linksys router using a CAT 5 cable and is assigned IP dynamically. The computer frequently gets disconnected and gives an error message saying "Cable unplugged". The same configuration used to work in Windows Xp. Is my motherboard faulty? Should I get it replaced? Any suggestions about the issue are welcome.

Re: Lan port not working after upgradation

Yes it is possible that the motherboard is faulty as you have not changed any other device on the network. All the functions which are carried out by the computer are controlled by the motherboard. If the motherboard is faulty then the computer will not work properly hence I would suggest you to get the motherboard of the computer checked and if there are any problems with it then get it replaced. Once the motherboard is replaced, you will not face the same problem with the LAN port again.

Check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working properly. All the devices which are connected to the computer require a set of drivers to be installed on the computer to work properly. Drivers act as the mediator between the operating system and the device. If the appropriate drivers are not installed then the device will not work properly. To check if the drivers are installed and working on the computer, go to device manager and highlight the installed network adapter. If there are any caution signs, follow the troubleshooting procedure. If troubleshooting does not help then you will have to update the drivers for the network adapter. After updating the drivers , check if the problem continues or not.

DHCP on the router is responsible for assigning IP addresses to all the devices which are connected to the router. DHCP assigns the IP address to the device from pool of IP addresses which is available. If the DHCP on the router is not working then the device which is connected to the router will not be able to access all the network resources and may get disconnected. To check if the DHCP on the router is working properly, login to the router and open the configuration page. Disable the DHCP on the router and then enable it again. After enabling the DHCP, save the configuration and reboot the router. See if the problem still persists or not.

Scan the system with an updated antivirus as there is high possibility that the system is infected with some kind of virus. Virus's get downloaded while visiting certain website or while downloading some data from the internet. Some virus's have the tendency of broadcasting unnecessary data on the communication channel due to which the communication channel gets flooded by information. If the communication channel gets flooded then the router blocks the port and hence the computer is getting disconnected. Therefore scan the system and check for all the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected. Once the files are repaired or quarantined, see if the problem gets solved or not.

The default IP version in Windows 7 is IPv6 while the default IP version in Windows XP is IPv4. As the network was configured for Windows XP, it will conflict with IPv6 protocol of Windows 7. The DHCP on the router must be assigning 32bit IPv4 address to the computer which must be conflicting. You will have to disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7 to be able to use the network. To disable the Windows 7 IPv6 support, go to network connection wizard and open Lan properties. Go to TCP/IP utilities and select properties. Now remove the Check mark from "Enable IPv6 support" and save the settings. Now see if the computer gets disconnected from the network.