Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 15-03-2010

How to configure IPCop VPN

Hi,
For a secure data transfer I am trying to generate a VPN tunnel. Here I am trying to provide access to some important documents on my computer via internet. Now if I openly setup a ftp server then my data can be hacked. For that purpose a vpn tunnel with digital certificate authentication can work well. IPCop supports this features. I just need a basic overview of the settings. Thanks in advance.
Old 15-03-2010

Re: How to configure IPCop VPN

VPNs tab contains a single menu of the same name. You'll notice that the tabs are related to specific areas, the Virtual Private Network (VPN, or VPN in English for Virtual Private Network) is a completely separate area compared to other categories proposed by IPCop. A VPN is to use what is called a protocol of tunneling (like L2M, PPTP, L2P, IPSec, etc to connect two physical networks using an unsecured network, but reliable, the purpose being that these two networks Segregated have formed a single network.
Old 15-03-2010

The VPN is very fashionable lately. Indeed, with the spread of broadband is less expensive for a company to connect the networks of its agencies using a VPN by using a dedicated line like LS, which is to hire a liaison Direct from a point A to point B in a telecom provider, which is very expensive, but certainly safer than a VPN because transiting through a completely secure network.
Old 15-03-2010

That is proper that Even if IPCp passes through Internet, the VPN is still a technique very secure, with encryption systems and methods of control more or less powerful according to the protocol that you choose. In the case of IPCop is the IPSec protocol is used. This is supported by most operating systems and devices present (Windows, Linux, Mac OS, ...). He works on a layer of level 3 of the OSI model, which allows for monitoring the activity level of the package.
Old 15-03-2010

In IPCop there are two types of VPNs which are possible. The first one is Network to network, which consists in connecting two physical networks between them and the other one Network system which consists of connecting a mobile computer network. To create a new VPN must click on the button Add, select the desired mode then Add, fill the desired information and select the authentication method.
Old 15-03-2010

In IPCop for a better security you can use Shared Key. This is a pass-phrase which will be known to both sides. A certificate is generated by the machine on the principle of public keys. This characterizes the right side of the network, the left side then identify themselves by Transfer Certificate from the certificate of the right side. The same is then validate or invalidate with the corresponding buttons at the bottom of the page.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , ,