Thread: How to Lock Computer in Linux

How to Lock Computer in Linux

Hi,
    I need some tips and way to provide some security option on Linux based computer. In my clients office there are 5 PC's which are working on different Linux Distributions. Now I am not so familiar with this operating system I can only suggest some tips like computer lock or BIOS lock. What is needed to implement this on those computers. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to Lock Computer in Linux

The most basic solution for this can be creating different login account on the computer system which must be password protected. You can do that. This will be simple for you. You probably does not need to spend any additional money on some dedicated hardware or software for the same. Just from the control panel of those OS generated password protected accounts.

If those OS are not so old then lots of today's Linux Distributions are equipped with password protection service. You can enable that. The other most important thing for the same is security your BIOS so that online threats and attacks must not spoil your system. You can add up a security password in the BIOS so that no one access it by a Bootable disc

The best recommendation for your from my site will be protecting your Boot Loader. Various Linux boot loaders are equipped with boot password protection settings. You can restrict those settings avoid any one to access your system and adjust the boot times. This is called as the LILO prompt where you can provide a password and adjust different settings.

Here is a small way to create a boot loader password from LiILO. In the man page of LILI whereas restricted requires a boot-time password only if you specify options (such as single) at the LILO prompt. From the LILO.conf man page type password=password > restricted. The password=password protects the image by a password and restricted is a password is only required to boot the image if parameters are specified on the command line.

You must ensure one thing that all the settings of password you must remember. Also take that the passwords must be complex type and not easy to guess. The password must not be bypass by a booting floppy or cd. It is possible to disable the boot from floppy via BIOS settings. That is possible in conjunction with the boot loader. Also take care that your /etc/lilo.con is needed to set mode 600, otherwise others can access your password.