Thread: Problems while connecting iBook G4 to wireless router

Problems while connecting iBook G4 to wireless router

Hello, I am having some problems while accessing Internet on my Ibook G4. My Ibook G4 is installed with Mac OS X Snow leopard. I used to connect the Ibook to a Linksys Wireless router which used to provide internet to it. From few days I am facing Problems while connecting iBook G4 to wireless router. The ibook shows that the device is connected to the network but I am not able to access Internet on it. I am not very well versed in networking and hence need your help in solving the issue. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Problems while connecting iBook G4 to wireless router

First check the configuration of the router which is providing Internet connection. It is possible that the configuration of the router has changed and hence the Ibook is not able to access Internet on it. The configuration of the router changes when some device is added or removed from the network. Login to the router and open the configuration page. Contact your ISP and get the proper settings for the router. Check if the router is configured properly according to the settings provided by the ISP. Make necessary changes and then save the settings. Reboot the router and see if the ibook is able to connect to the router.

Check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working properly on the computer. All the devices which are connected to the computer require a set of drivers installed on the computer. If the appropriate set of drivers are not installed then the device will not work properly. Open the apple menu and check for the installed drivers for the network adapter in network preferences. Try and update the drivers for the network adapter if required. Once the drivers are updated, check if the ibook is able to connect to the router.

Most of the problems of the MAC system are solved by doing a PRAM reset. Sometimes invalid entries get stored in the RAM of the system. If the system memory gets flooded with invalid entries then the system will not work properly. To clear the invalid entries from the system RAM, you will have to perform PRAM reset. To perform PRAM reset, follow the steps below :-
    • Locate the following keys (Apple, Option, R and P)
    • Press and hold the following keys while booting.
    • Keep the buttons pressed till 3 startup chimes are heard.
    • Release the keys when 3rd startup chime is heard.
    Let the system boot and then check if the problem still persists or not.

It is possible that the Network Interface card on the computer is not working properly. NIC is responsible for establishing and maintaining the connectivity with the router. If the NIC itself is not working then the computer will not be able to maintain the connectivity with the router. All the NIC's are have a software interface which can be used for testing. Try pinging the 127.0.0.1 and see the errors in data sent and received. If there are any errors in the data sent and received then the NIC is faulty and needs to be replaced. Replacing the NIC will solve the problem.

DHCP on the router is responsible for assigning IP addresses to the devices which are connected to the router using Wireless connectivity. DHCP assigns IP address to the device connected from the pool of IP addresses. If the DHCP on the router is not working properly then the device will not be able to access all the network resources. Therefore disable the DHCP and then enable it again. To disable the DHCP on the router,login to the router and go to configuration. Disable the DHCP and then login again to enable DHCP. Once DHCP is enabled again, save the configuration and check if you are able to connect the iBook to the router or not.