Thread: Opening port for Linux Samba for windows users

Opening port for Linux Samba for windows users

I am running with two operating system in network,one is for Linux and second for windows and I have configured the samba server on Linux.I got some problem to let windows users (WIN2X/XP) to enter Linux samba server and this is related to the iptables set up.

I have Redhat9 box, when I choose "no firewall", then windows users can log in Linux samba server with their samba user name and password. If I choose high security firewall and open the port 137,138,139 like then windows users can not access Linux samba server, and the following error is being occurred :
    and RH9 is not accessible , the network
    path cannot find.

Opening port for Linux Samba for windows users

There are so many things depends on your network configuration and port description.whenever,you choose the No firewall settings then the windows users can easily login into the samba server with the associated user name and password.

You need to configure the IPtable values and open the required port which is recommended by samba server.You need to open TCP and UDP ports which is described in the iptable and you can do it manually also.So just open 137 through 139 port for TCP and UDP as well.I think,it can help you.

Opening port for Linux Samba

There are so many users use a firewall to restrict the access on those services to which they don't want make accessible outside the network. If you are using firewall settings then you should to aware of the ports usage for TCP and UDP protocols.

The Samba server uses the following port -

UDP/137 - used by nmbd
    UDP/138 - used by nmbd
    TCP/139 - used by smbd
    TCP/445 - used by smbd

The last one port number for specified protocol is necessary as compare to other protocols for firewall setups.It may be in some cases,the firewall would aware of it because this port was only added to the protocol in recent years.

Protecting an unpatched Samba server

This sis some described instructions which can help you to protect the Samba server against security threats,in case,if you are unable to upgrade the patched version.if you didn't perform any upgrades and all before then you should think about the given guidelines here to get additional levels of protection.

1- Limit the number of concurrent connections
    2- Use host based protection
    3- Use interface protection
    4- Use a firewall with appropriate port
    5- Use a IPC$ share deny

Configuring IPTables

Configuring IPTables:

You need to configure and need some more guidelines about the Iptables in the samba configuration.The Iptable configuration is in very easier way on open sources system like Linux and fedora. you have to just add four lines to /etc/sysconfig/iptables associate with the "-j REJECT".

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 137 -j ACCEPT
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 138 -j ACCEPT
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 445 -j ACCEPT

After then restart the iptables service using the command-

# service iptables restart

Configuring Samba for port issues

Configuring Samba :

you can configure the Samba server to only incorporated with certain network interfaces and hosts.Before doing this,you need to be sure about the some limitation like Samba and IPTables are being used to limit access to Samba and the setting should be reflected in both of the configuration files .

interfaces command is one of the option to configuration smb.conf file and will remove the possibility of Samba connections.This is the typical command for configuring the samba server.

Code:
    interfaces = 172.16.1.1 127.0.0.1