Thread: Win32/RegCure infection detected by kaspersky

Win32/RegCure infection detected by kaspersky

Since last week my computer is displaying alert messages regarding various files hosted on my system. I am using Kaspersky anti-virus. The files detected by this Kaspersky anti-virus are some unknown files. I do not know how all those files were downloaded. I also get alerts for the RegCure application as Win32/RegCure. So how cam I sort out all these issues?

Re: Win32/RegCure infection detected by kaspersky

The RegCure is a utility that is distributed as system optimization utility. But this applications then allows many unknown and sometimes malicious files to be downloaded. The reason the anti-virus is unable to track these files is because the RegCure utility claims these files to be its own update files. Delete the RegCure utility when detected by your installed anti-virus.

Run a Safe mode scan

My suggestion would be that you should first of all try the safe scan. For this you would have to boot your computer to Windows Safe Mode. This Safe Mode booting disables all applications belonging to untrusted third parties. This shall be helpful for you to delete the detected threat. So re-start your computer and tap the F8 key and select the Safe Mode option from the displayed list. Scan your computer completely in Safe Mode.

There are programs like the RegCure application which load themselves as reliable applications and then makes it easy for other non-reliable files to infect the system. I had a similar applications which unknowingly was loaded on my system. But I was able to delete it from the control panel. So you may look for the RegCure application in the Control Panel. You may also uninstall it from the All Programs option in Start Menu by running its un-installer if present.

Probably this malicious software worked its way to your computer because of disabled or un-installed firewall. It is recommended by Microsoft itself to always Turn On your Windows Firewall. But in your case it seems that your Firewall settings might have been changed by some malicious contents or you might have turned off the Firewall. Also you can always protect your computer from latest network threats by automatically updating Windows. Following are the steps to Turn On Automatic updates:
    1. Open the Start Menu.
    2. Enter Windows Update or Updates in the Search box and select Windows Update from the displayed list.
    3. In the left pane, click Change settings.
    4. Under Important updates, choose the option that you want.
    5. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click OK.