Thread: W32/KillAV.MI randomly crashes Compaq Desktop

W32/KillAV.MI randomly crashes Compaq Desktop

I am using a Compaq desktop computer which has Windows Vista installed. My computer detects the threat W32/KillAV.MI. I have installed Symantec antivirus. This antivirus randomly display alert message for W32/KillAV.MI malicious threats. But on selecting to delete this threat my computer crashes. And this happens everytime when I select the delete option on alert notification.

W32/KillAV.MI is a Worm

The W32/KillAV.MI is a detection for a malicious worm. As with other worms this worm also spreads through spam mails as well as removable USB drives. This worm has been noted to cause the Denial of Services of Attack and also causes changes to the Windows Security Center and also to many system files and folders. This worm also tends to duplicate files and folders as well as replace them with malicious contents.

Use Avast antivirus

I suggest that you change your anti-virus. From the description provided by you it seems that the worm has succeeded in modifying the Windows Security Center settings as well as modified the anti-virus application's settings. So you need to scan your computer using some reliable anti-virus. I suggest you to download make use of Avast anti-virus. This anti-virus has a Boot Time scanning feature that can be useful for deleting illegal applications before the Windows Operating System is booted.

Re: W32/KillAV.MI randomly crashes Compaq Desktop

Check if the System Restore utility is working properly or not. The W32/KillAV.MI worm is known to infect the system restore utility by deleting restore points. If you are able to make use of the System Restore utility then use a restore point wherein the worm was not loaded into the system to restore settings. If you are not able to make use of the System Restore utility then feedback the error codes or any error messages that might be displayed.

Unable to use the System Restore application

Yes, I have tried the System restore utility but it displays an error stating that the system settings cannot be restored and the computer restarts. I have even tried out the Safe mode to scan my computer for W32/KillAV.MI worm but even in Safe mode my computer crashes when I select to delete the worm. I have many of my important files and folders that I have stored in the D drive. So how can I save these important files and documents? Or is it that even this content will be infected by this W32/KillAV.MI worm?

Re: W32/KillAV.MI randomly crashes Compaq Desktop

You can back-up your important files in some other hard drive or a flash drive. And then simply re-install Windows. Re-installing the Windows will only format the C Drive files and thus your D drive data will not be affected by it. But still it is a good practice to take backup of important data. After re-installing Windows install anti-virus program and scan your computer once again both in normal booting mode as well as Safe booting mode. This will surely help you to terminate the worm forever from your computer.