Thread: Win32/PSW.Pebox.CA slows down internet connection

Win32/PSW.Pebox.CA slows down internet connection

I am using a 1 Mbps internet connection plan from our local internet service provider- HATHWAY. But now my connection has slowed. Also when I select to download any files I get many pop-ups regarding a number of arbitrary files and then finally my anti-virus detects the Win32/PSW.Pebox.CA. So what is the way to drag this virus out of my computer?

Restore Computer Settings

I had a similar virus infection on my computer. I was using Norton internet security antivirus on my Windows XP Service Pack 2 operating system. And I was not able to update my Norton antivirus. And even when I tried to connect to internet, it would take almost a minute to load a page. I finally resorted to the System Restore utility. Using this utility I was able to restore system settings. All you have to do is to select a restore point that will help you to restore system settings.

Re: Win32/PSW.Pebox.CA slows down internet connection

I am unable to restore system settings. When I go to the System restore utility I am not having any restore points. Also my computer sometimes all on its own start some unknown downloads. I am having Counter Strike installed on my computer. When I try to play the game on Steam I get alert messages from the Norton antivirus. So is it any issue that might be related to the Steam or Counter-Strike?

Re: Win32/PSW.Pebox.CA slows down internet connection

The Win32/PSW.Pebox.CA is infact a malicious DLL file that is loaded on the user machine to intercept data send on internet. The main intention of this virus is to steal the password used to play games online and thus it might have also infected the Steam and prohibiting you from playing CS online. There is no other symptoms to detect this threat rather than the anti-virus alert messages. Try to detect the Pebox.exe process in your task manager and terminate it. After that scan your computer using your antivirus.

Setup Windows Firewall

The reason that your system is infected by the Win32/PSW.Pebox.CA virus is that your system is probably lacking a Firewall to monitor the data sent and received from your computer through internet. So according to me you need to first setup Windows Firewall. Follow the steps below to setup Windows Firewall in Windows Vista:
    1. Open Start Menu.
    2. Click on Control Panel
    3. Open Security folder
    4. Click on Windows Firewall.
    5. Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
    6. Click On (recommended), and then click OK.