Thread: Does a MAC Pc needs an antivirus

Does a MAC Pc needs an antivirus

Hi,
    I had tried many things to secure my LAN network from virus. But every-time I found infection on some machines. The problem is that now I am planning to switch to MAC pc. I had found they are much secure in this matter. I have a MAC laptop for that. I never need to install anti-virus on that. So if I implement everything on a network then does it necessary to install a anti-virus on it.

Re: Does a MAC Pc needs an antivirus

There are very few viruses for Mac they are virtually nonexistent. But Mac OS X is not safe from a Trojan or malware. Zero risk does not matter, but by opting for a Mac, you are far from having the same risks as Window. Therefore, yes, we could therefore safely say that a virus is not an actually effects a Mac running OS X. So there is really very little risk of being affected by a virus.

I will also not say that MAC is completely safe from virus. Even if you are protected on the Mac, you will share all the same extensive information and files via Internet or through networks with users on PC and then on Windows. That can then accidentally carry viruses, which admittedly are completely harmless to your pc but certainly cause damage to other pc connected to you.

MAC can be said that it is a healthy carriers of virus without your knowledge. If you use a PC emulator on your Mac, like fore e.g. VMware Fusion then although you can infect a Windows system if used in network or via any other device while data transfer. Besides viruses, you must also guard against spyware & malware. Also don't forget the keyloggers and some cookies infringing your privacy.

The issue is that though you believe that your pc is protected but virus can transmit from your pc to other network and damage those unsecured pc. Thus, to protect oneself is primarily important protect its corresponding PC and avoid them pass on many PC viruses circulating on the Net. So each system must be secured by a good anti-virus security.

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard has a protection against malicious software. But the same is needless to fetch it in the folder Applications or Utilities, you will find nothing. This function is integrated into the system itself. This new which is first time included in a system OS a protection against such attacks, is not very efficient and is at present very limited indeed.