Thread: Password protection for hard disk

Password protection for hard disk

Hello
    I am looking for a way to delete a password set in the bios of a disk drive. The hard disk is from my friends computer and now it is asking for the password when the computer tries to start. I think the Hard disk is password protected. Do you have any idea of how to ulock this password. If you guys know any one of them then please do post back. Thanks in advance.

Re: Password protection for hard disk

Hello,
    It seems that the BIOS is not quite on the SD master. It is rather on the ROM of your motherboard. Well see BIOS
    If you try to transfer the PWD, either you did or you did not.
    - If you did, you throw in the boot menu config the BIOS (by pressing ESC, F1, F8, it depends) and there you will find a menu to delete it.
    - Either you remove the battery from your motherboard and the PWD will disappear on the ROM after "some time"
    - I think it is not work on some motherboards (eg in laptops in general). It should return the PC for a factory technician removes the PWD. Besides the fact that we should prove that it is the owner of the PC, it is not free.

Hello,
    Here is what the doc is in the disk:
    10.7 Security Mode Feature Set Security Mode Feature Set is a powerful security feature. With a device lock password, a user can Prevent unauthorized access to hard disk device even if the device is removed from the computer.
    New commands are supported for this feature as below.
    Security Set Password ( 'F1'h)
    Security Unlock ( 'F2'h)
    Security Erase Prepare ( 'F3'h)
    Security Erase Unit ( 'F4'h)
    Security Freeze Lock ( 'F5'h)
    Security Disable Password ( 'F6'h)
    How to change these registers

Hello,
    Even I have a similar kind of a problem. The password is requested immediately after the bios. And it's a password for the disk drive that demand. It's someone in my family who has lost the password, and it has data on the disk it wants to recover. So the laptop is OK I can use, but not the disk. Even on another laptop it asks me the password. If you guys have any idea about this then please do post back.

Hello,
    I think I have the solution, what you need is an adapter 2.5pouces----> new 3.5inch because you will have to do a hard format but in Windows metant your laptop hard drive in slave. You can make a spa format hard just booting to a floppy disk. In fact the password is located in a ROM located directly on the hard drive (the famous restaurant spaces on the DD PC supermarkets ...). This has solved my problem, see, if this helps you.

Hello,
    I have the same problem with a 60GB Travelstar hard disk (IBM). I also tried everything to format the hard drive. With a select of in a laptop or with an adapter on mainframe and other bootable cd to crack passwords to do anything.The hard drive is not recognized under windows. I was surprised that it was not recognized under windows, because windows is the most popular operating system and even it is not detecting the hard disk. Would there another solution?