Thread: How to connect two MAC PC by Target Disc Mode

How to connect two MAC PC by Target Disc Mode

Hi,
    How to connect two MAC Pc by using a option called Target Disk Mode. What is it. I have to transfer some data from a PC to another. The data is quiet large so it is not possible to move that by a usb. I does not want to create networks for a temporary basis. I had found that use Firewire target disk mode I can connect two PC and share my data. How to do that.

re: How to connect two MAC PC by Target Disc Mode

If you want to connect two Macs with a single firewire cable. Then simply connect the second computer on the first computer. As the first one will show the second on as a removable media. This is handy if you want to make a timely exchange of files between two computers although today there are many methods simple and convenient to communicate with each other two Macs by using Hello.

If you want a regular exchange of files between computers at home, better use technology Hello Mac OS X. The connection of two computers by firewire cable i.e. Target Mode > Target is possible only if both computers are equipped with at least one firewire port each. This is obvious then buy a simple firewire cable on the market and connect the two systems with each other.

To perform Target Disk Mode turn on the first computer. Then connect the firewire cable between two Macs. Now turn on the second computer while maintaining the T key. The logo firewire appears on the screen of the computer B (the logo in the upper left of this page under that of OS X EASY. The hard drive icon from computer B appears on the screen of a computer as a removable sheer volume.

The computer which support fireware Target more are iMac with updated firmware 2.4. The other is eMAc models and Mac Mini models also do support this. The same can be applied on Power Mac G4 & Cube, all models of Mac Pro, iBook, PowerBook G3 & G4, etc. The Fireware Target Disk mode requirement is as follows. It works with internal PATA or SATA drivers only. It will only connected to master PATA drive on Ultra ATA bus. And in the same it wil no connect to Slave ATA, ATAPI or SCSI drivers.

Here are some thing you have to do before attempting to run Firewire Target disk mode. First you have to make sure that your MAC PC has the current software and firmware. You have to disconnect all the other fireware devices before doing this other wise there can be system conflicts. If you are going to use FileVault protected directories then you can log in the same as FileVault protected user.