Thread: What are WEP keys

What are WEP keys

hi friend
    i am using wireless local area network which means WLAN in my networking system. But i want to know about some authentication process such type of secure method of controlling access to the WLA. I heard about WEP Keys which is protect the system but i don't have much idea about that so any one tell me that What Are WEP Keys and how it work in system?

Re: What are WEP keys

WEP is a protocol that adds security to wireless local area networks (WLANs) based on the 802.11 Wi-Fi standard. Basically wireless network broadcast message are using the radio,so it is a more eavesdropping than other wired type of networks. Basically it secure the IEEE 802.11 which is a set of the standards carrying out of the WLAN .Regardless of how it is implemented on a wireless LAN, WEP represents just one element of an overall WLAN security strategy.

WEP is an OSI Data Link layer (Layer 2) security technology that can be turned "on" or "off."basiocally [protol is a set of rule of the communiocation of the data which can communicate with each othere across the whiole network.same ly wep is also a type of protocol. WEP was designed to give wireless networks the equivalent level of privacy protection as a comparable wired network. there are two types of the method of authentication which cn beused with wep first one which is Open System authentication and another one whic os Shared Key authentication.

WEP was designed to give wireless networks the equivalent level of privacy protection as a comparable wired network. The WEP key is used for authentication. there are four different types of ways that are follow like ,make sure that the client sends an authentication request to the access point. As well as it also back send a clear-text challenge.Another one which is The client has to encrypt the challenge text using the configured WEP key, and send it back in another authentication request.Finally The Access Point decrypts the material, and compares it with the clear-text it had sent.that kind of technology we can turned "on" or "off."
    Last edited by Zachary; 16-02-2010 at 03:47 AM.

WEP is based on a security purpose we also called it as RC4 that utilizes a combination of secret user keys and system-generated values.When communicating over the wire network as well as wireless network equipment uses WEP keys to encrypt the data stream basically that type of keys are store in wireless adapter which means that type of adapter which is a interface between system and network. WPA can interface with 802.1X or RADIUS authentication servers which has provide a more security of controlling access to the WLAN.