Thread: File sharing between users on the same mac

File sharing between users on the same mac

Hello,

New in the Mac world, I purchased 2 iMac a week ago,yhe system OS X Leopard 10.5.3

I have a problem with shared folders between users of the same mac, I want to share between these accounts of our records containing personal photos without it put this folder in my public folder or in the "Shared" located in Hard Disk / Users. In the sharing preferences I also checked the "file sharing" and the options I checked "share files and folders via AFP via SMB (I have an old PC that I intend to transfer on Mac).

When I log on the second account, I can not find the file "Personal Photos" folder which i made share and also nothing appears in the Finder window's left column to "share" (on the other hand we Imac possess).

Can anyone help me, tell me where I made a mistake, how?

Re: File sharing between users on the same mac

Good evening,

I was in the same situation as you and I wanted the same answer.

Well i ended up with this solution In a new finder window go to: Macintosh HD- > Users -> Your Account-> Pictures

and it should work...

Your file is actually a sub-folder, which remains hidden from the other user because its parent folder (= the folder that contains this file photo) has no read permission for other user

Ban reading of the parent folder "cancel" permission to read the file photos.

To share a folder of your choice with the name of your choice, and with rights to read / write in your choice

Simply use System Preferences-> Sharing-> File Sharing .

You have a window to select the folder, and another for users and their rights. You create a dedicated folder (or you use a pre-existing folder to your liking), and you share your way, and if you want to share another way, you use another folder settings that you otherwise.

But beware never put in Everyone No entry Under penalty of huge problems! It's with Apply to all items included in this case (the information in a file written by the System): the mess.

Configure the user and group accounts with appropriate access privileges

Configure the user and group accounts with appropriate access privileges

1. In Sharing preferences, select the folder that's being shared.
    2. To add to the default user accounts and groups that were selected when you shared the folder, click the + (plus) icon below the "Users:" field.
    3. In the sheet that appears, select an existing user account or group (user accounts can be created in Accounts preferences, in System Preferences).

• Tip: You can click "New Person" to create a new Sharing Only user account or a user in your Address Book (also a "Sharing Only" user account). Enter a new password for the "Sharing Only" account when prompted.
    4. The default privilege for a user account or group you add is "Read Only". If you want to change this, from the "Read Only" pop-up menu choose one of the following privilege options:
      • Read & Write - The user can read, copy, edit and delete the contents of the folder.
      • Read Only - The user can only read and copy (to another location) the contents of the folder.
      • Write Only (Drop Box) - The user can only copy content into the folder. The user can not see the contents of the drop box folder.

5. Note: A "Write Only" user can overwrite items in the drop box folder, if what they drop into it has the same name as an item already in the drop box folder.

• No Access (groups only) = User accounts in this group will have no access to the folder. However if their user account is added, the privileges assigned to the user account will override their group restrictions.
    6. Repeat this process for each folder being shared.

More: Mac 101: File sharing
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Begin by going to see in System Preferences> Sharing> File Sharing to see if your Admin account appears in the windows partition. If so, it will be easy to correct.

Otherwise, throws a look at the permissions for your admin account, and its root folders, especially Permissions Group (the 2nd line of information with Cmd-i).