Thread: How to create a wireless bridge

How to create a wireless bridge

Hi, i have a very short query and hope you guys can help me out for sure. Liek some of my friends i wanted to create a wireless bridge so that i can connect me TV and Xbox console with internet without using WiFi adapter. To do so i bought a Linksys WRT54G and have a Internet Box. Could you guys please guide me to create a wireless bridge ? Thanks for all your helps.!

Re: How to create a wireless bridge

In order to create a Wireless bridge, you must purchase and configure a router in client mode. If this mode is usually present only in routers professionals, it is possible to activate a router simply by replacing its firmware (firmware included) with a free firmware and free much more functional (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc.)

The DD-WRT firmware will allow you to turn your WiFi router to router classical competition that you can configure in client mode for our WiFi wireless bridge. Here is how to do that:-
    • First open your browser and go to dd-wrt.com.
    • Enter the name of your router, the WRT54GL here.
    • Click on the model proposed.
    • Leave the firmware version of the default and click the Build Mini-firmware required for initial flashing via the web.
    • Download the file and save it on your USB stick for example.

You need the router Flashing with DD-WRT firmware. Flashing the firmware of WRT54GL poses no problem and goes through the configuration interface of the router. Do not unplug the router during the operation. To do so electrically connect your router and start by doing a hardware reset. Press for this for 30 seconds with a style or a paperclip on the reset button on the router and release the button. Using the supplied Ethernet cable, connect the router (using ports numbered 1 to 4 at the rear of the router) to your computer.

Click the right mouse button on the Network icon in the taskbar and click Open Center Network and Sharing. In the left column of the window that opens, click Change settings of the card. Click the right mouse button on the network connection Local Area Connection and click Properties. Double click on the item Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Select Use the following IP address, set the IP address 192.168.1.7 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 network. Leave the DNS server fields blank. Click OK.

Then open your web browser and go to the address http://192.168.1.1 and confirm with Enter. An authentication window opens. Leave the username blank and enter the admin password. Click OK. In the configuration interface of the router, click Administration then Firmware Upgrade. Click the Browse button and select the file DD-WRT firmware previously downloaded and click Open. Click the Upgrade button and wait a few minutes. Especially not interrupt the process of updating. Click Continue once the update completes.

Then make a hardware reset. Press it for 30 seconds during the RESET button on the router and release the button. Thats it.

After installing the DD-WRT firmware you need to configure the router to behave as a WiFi client. You must also configure the WiFi connection to your Internet box. For doing the same, just follow the following steps:-

1. Open your web browser and go to the address http://192.168.1.1 and confirm with Enter.
    2. The new interface that appears to indicate that the router works with firmware DD-WRT. You are prompted to specify a username and password. So choose a username (eg admin), a password and confirm it. Confirm by Change password.
    3. Click the Wireless tab.
    4. Identify yourself with username and password that you just defined. Click OK.
    5. Click on wireless security.
    6. Scroll Security mode and select the security mode WiFi network of your box, WPA Personal in our case.
    7. Then select the encryption method, AES for us.
    8. Finally enter the WEP or WPA for your WiFi box. Click the Save button.
    9. Open the Basic Settings section.
    10. Scroll Wireless Mode and select Client.
    11. Change if needed mode WiFi network of your box (WiFi B / G or both - mixed).
    12. Then enter the SSID of your wireless network to be exactly the same as your box. Beware of uppercase and lowercase.
    13. Choose the same channel number, Wireless Channel on your box.
    14. Set the value to 0 sensivity range.
    15. Click the Save button.

And you are done.!!

To avoid conflicts with your computer already connected to your box, you must place a new WRT54GL LAN. The two networks can communicate with each other through the router (which straddles the 2 networks) and of course you can enjoy the Internet connection of your box. The router will load automatically distribute IP addresses to devices that you connect to Ethernet. While doing the task you will find that the router address will be 192.168.2.1, you must change your IP address accordingly to be able to connect it again. Change the IP address of your computer, and set its IP address 192.168.2.7. Confirm.

The firewall built into the Linksys WRT54G default block exchanges between your wireless router and Box. You need to configure. In the configuration interface of the router, click the Security menu and then click Firewall. In the Wan Block Requests, uncheck all boxes except the basic Filter Multicast must remain checked. Click the Save button. Then select the option to Disable the SPI Firewall component. Click Apply Settings.

On your computer, return to the configuration window of your IP address and select the option Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically. Confirm OK twice. And now, your router is connected to your box via WiFi and allows Internet access from equipment connected over Ethernet in!