Thread: what is option 82 DHCP

what is option 82 DHCP

I am working in networking filed many times I heard DHCP server or 82 DHCP. I want to implement the DHCP or 82 DHCP which provides the additional security to network. But actually what is DHCP 82 I don’t what is the function of DHCP I also don’t know. I have to collect a more information about the DHCP or DHCP server. So I request to all of you if anyone has any idea or any type of information regarding the 82 DHCP then please send me all information.

Re: what is option 82 DHCP

In my opinion option 82 is design to allow a DHCP relay agent to insert circuit specific information into a request that is being forward to a DHCP server. Especially the option works by setting two sub options first is circuit ID and second one is remote ID. The circuit ID I sub option is supposed to include information specific to which circuit the request came in on and the remote ID sub option is design to carry information relating to the remote host end of the circuit.

The DHCP information option 82 is commonly used in metro or large enterprise deployment to provide additional information on “physical attachment “of client. Option 82 is supposed to be used for distributed DHCP sever/relays environment. Where relay insert additional information to identity the client point attachment. The option82 server as refinement to the request and allowing the DHCP server to select a sub range in the pool.

DHCP option 82 provides a mechanism for generating IP addresses based on location the client devices is in network. The information about the DHCP location can be sent along with the request to the server. The DHCP server makes a decision on what IP should be assigned based on this information. Switch and the router intercepting the DHCP request append the circuit ID and remote ID into the option 82 field and forward the request message to DHCP server.

The DHCP information option 82 is mainly designed to used in the metro and the large deployment to provides information on physical attachment of client. Especially the option DHCP 82 work by setting two sub options first is circuit ID and second one is remote ID. The DHCP server make the decision on what IP should be assigned based on this information. The option 82 server refine the request and allowed the DHCP server to select range in the pool.