Thread: Method to prevent Generic PWS.y!mf from entering the system

Method to prevent Generic PWS.y!mf from entering the system

I need someone to help me with the method to prevent Generic PWS.y!mf from entering the system. I am using Windows Vista operating system with Avast antivirus and my browser is Mozilla Firefox. The antivirus helps me to delete the infections only after it has entered into the system. I do not know how and when they enter into the computer. I get the alerts of the infections when I am surfing the internet. All possible replies and suggestions are duly appreciated.

Re: Method to prevent Generic PWS.y!mf from entering the system

You will have to stop downloading the pirated softwares as a method to prevent Generic PWS.y!mf from entering the system. Many users search for the pirated softwares on the internet and the attackers know about the same. Hence, they embed the infections along with such pirated softwares, so that when the user will be downloading such softwares, they will be actually downloading the infections into their system.

A method to prevent Generic PWS.y!mf from entering the system is to enable the firewall in the system. When the firewall is enabled, they become the entry points for all the data and information from the network into the system. So, whenever any malicious content try to enter into the system, they are simply not allowed to enter into the computer. If you are not comfortable with the default Windows firewall, then use any third party firewall.

Get the latest computer updates for all the installed software by following the steps given below and this will help as a method to prevent Generic PWS.y!mf from entering the system:
    1. Click on Start.
    2. Then, go to Control Panel.
    3. After that, select System and Maintenance.
    4. Now, go to Windows Updates.
    5. Here, select the recommended setting for automatic updates.

You will have to keep the database of the antivirus always updated and you can use the same as a method to prevent Generic PWS.y!mf from entering the system. With this technique, all the infections including the new ones that are released by the attackers will also be alerted if they try to gain entry into the system. It does not matter even if you use the best antivirus and do not update the same.

Inorder to prevent Generic PWS.y!mf from entering the system, I advice you to beware while opening email attachments from unknown users. It is possible that they may contain infections. This method is used by the attackers, since they know that many unsuspecting users will fall prey to such an attack. It is your responsibility to stay alert and avoid opening such email attachments.