Thread: How to configure HIPS in ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5

How to configure HIPS in ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5

Hi recently I have install the latest version of the ESET NOD32 Antivirus v5, and I think that this is the good antivirus I have seen for my Desktop, but however I don’t know how to properly configure HIPS. And also I don’t know much more about this HIPS configuration, so can I make the HIPS to set for Automatic or any other suggestion for the configure to the HIPS so if you guys have any of the information about this HIPS configuration process for this ESET NOD32 Antivirus v5 then please do the reply. Any of the suggestion or the reply will be appreciated. Thanks for the help if you can

Re: How to configure HIPS in ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5

According to my suggestion you can make the use of the Automatic mode, since this is the best for the configuration of the HIPS for this Antivirus and also the Automatic mode will automatically configure HIPS in ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5. And also the main reason for these automatically configure for this HIPS is because most of the new user for this Antivirus don’t have that much of the information about the configuration of the HIPS. So the better option for the configuration of the HIPS is to make the use of the automatically configuration.

There is the Learning Mode for the HIPS and this is the default option for the HIPS set. So you have to make the use of this Learning Mode and then you can switch to the "Automatic “since I have seen there the Antivirus never asked for the permission in the Learning Mode. That means that you are never going to asked to have the permission for anything during the learning period. So from there you will go to know the best setting for the HIPS there for this antivirus.

Even I have also set my HIPS setting to the Auto mode there for my desktop, but however I have seen that there are the interactive mode that are quite easier to make the use. But the best option is the Auto configuration for the setting of the HIPS there in this antivirus. There are nothing more worried about this HIPS since it is new to this version of the ESET antivirus so there are the other things in these ESET that can be used for the various purpose, there are the things that can be used to list some of the programs names or types of programs that can be apply to their machine for an eg: browsers, Spyware/malware scanners, Adobe Reader, iTunes etc.

This HIPS feature for this ESET antivirus is the advanced option there in this new version of this antivirus, so according to my suggestion you can make the help of the HIPS in learning mode for some of the days to know about this feature and after that you can switch towards the interactive mode.

There are the things are there in the HIPS setting that make the user to make the changes for the "the application part of the registry" and also there are the option to make the changes for the "data files" and there are no rule define for this thing there in the HIPS for this antivirus. So once you have finished the thing there in the HIPS mode there are the recommend that either you have to enabled or disabled those thing that can be used for the changes there for the Antivirus. There are the more advanced secure settings are there in this HIPS for this antivirus. So there is the significant change in protection if these secure settings be unchecked.

If you are new to the ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 then the HIPS is going for the First time that means that it going to asked for what to do in the for the admin account during the first reboot. So for that reason if you are the novice user you have to make the enable "Advanced Heuristics on File Execution". And also this is true that the experienced users can change the HIPS settings, so if some of the changes are done there in the HIPS for these antiviruses then you can take the help of the experienced users to overcome the situation for the HIPS setting issue. the HIPS here in this ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 is to advanced the user which can be help to edit and add programs and OS services and also provide the processes with suggested settings to use for HIPS, so with this thing the novice HIPS users can use this list and make them use for the PC.

This HIPS are used for the allows or prohibiting the programs or processes that have to be launch, there are the thing that can changed the data and the register with the use of the authorized programs or processes. And also the permitted or prohibited action for the program or process is to be under the control of the user. The simple way to use this feature is to make the use of the learning mode since the experienced users can only be able to make the use of the Interactive mode.

There are the learning modes for the HIPS when you first install this antivirus there in the System, because this mode is the default mode for this ESET antivirus, but this is also thing that I have seen for this HIPS learning mode is that it never asked for any of the things during the time of processing there in the system and also there are the lack of the rule generate that there are no any feature or the option that can generate any of the rule there in this HIPS.

Even I was also confused with the use of this HIPS there in this antivirus but latter on I know this HIPS learning mode and now I’m interactive mode and this is seems to be working well, so according to my ideas the user need to know about the thing that want to be allowed there for the use.

I am using interactive mode and it seems to be working well. However, you need to know what you're allowing. But there are the automatic modes that should be better option for the thing that are to be handles by the HIPS.

The antivirus shouldn't be that much of the difficult to make the use, there are the chances for making the use of the Automatic mode this mode have the default setting for the antivirus that depends on the System that want to make the use of these Antivirus. So for the best of the configuration setting there is the need for the Automatic mode to make in use. Since these have that much of the thing there this is more then enough. There are also the interactive mode that only can be use if you have the experience for this Antivirus.

The Intrusion Prevention System Host-based (HIPS for short) protects the system from malicious code and unwanted activity attempting to affect the team negatively, using the following resources:
    Advanced analysis of behavior
    Filtering network to monitor running processes, files and registry keys
    Active blocking intrusion attempts by malware system
    HIPS uses a high performance engine for deep inspection of incoming and outgoing packets on the network for suspicious content that may affect system security policies and vulnerable.
    Also, using advanced behavioral analysis with detection capabilities of network filter to monitor all running processes, files and registry keys, causing blockage and prevent attempts by malware, affect the system.
    When you first install ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Smart Security 5 5, HIPS functionality will be enabled by default and will not require the taking of any action.
    If you migrate from version to be activated manually HIPS: