Thread: Connection timed out when using putty

Connection timed out when using putty

I can not find a solution to access Internet from the SME console via putty.

In opening, I said that:
    - My Linux experience is summed up in the installation and using ubuntu on my PC a few weeks ago.
    - I have no knowledge about networks.

So I hope you will excuse what might seem to some of you nonsense.

This is my hardware:

Internet
    ||
    ||
    Alice Box
    ||
    ||
    CPL == SME
    ||
    ||
    PC 1-2

I am using Hitachi AH4021 firmware 2.0.10. With the new firmware updated automatically, it is possible to have access to advanced router. Some basic features have disappeared (more DMZ for example). DHCP is enabled with allocation numbers 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99

As for my SME Server, it is equipped with a single network card and therefore operates in server mode only. Its IP number is 192.168.1.100. DHCP is disabled.

That's what I did and that seems to work:
    - I installed SME 7.3
    - I did all the updates (the problem does not seem to come here because everything I point and after that does not work, does not further update)
    - I created an address on dyndns and I have installed and configured ddclient
    - I have been redirected to the SME ports 80, 8080, 20, 21, 22 and 443 (all in tcp and udp)
    - Internally, ftp and putty work
    - From the Internet, I have access to my web page and FTP.

That is what does not:
    If from the Internet, I have access to my web page and FTP, however, I can not use Fillezila in sftp or to run putty from the internet. With putty, failure with the same information that informs no data on the tunnel (L443 and localhost: 443). The error message is as follows: Network error: connection timed out

I said that I connect without encryption key and the server manager, the options are:
    Secure Shell access: Internet
    Allow access to the command line with administrative Secure Shell: Yes
    Enabling Secure shell access using standard passwords: Yes

I did the following tests:
    - Modified the sshd TCPPort with redirection of the new port to the SME in doing this:
    config setprop sshd TCPPort 3333
    config getprop sshd TCPPort
    grep Port /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    Port 3333
    service sshd restart
    Restarting sshd [ OK ]

- Audit following:
    db configuration show sshd
    sshd=service
    MaxAuthTries=2
    PasswordAuthentication=yes
    PermitRootLogin=yes
    Protocol=2
    TCPPort=222
    UsePAM=yes
    access=public
    status=enabled

I do not know what to try. Maybe this is a misconfiguration of my putty when I connect from outside (I said that I make this external connection from a PC behind a proxy)

If one of you have a track to give me so I can access the console from a position outside, thank you in advance.

Re: Connection timed out when using putty

You've already cleared the problem. Apart from setting up a VPN, the only (good) way to access server-manager from the Internet is used to create an ssh tunnel as you mention. For the tunnel rises, it must be established ssh connection. There is a line that troubles me about your show and db that is in contradiction with previous orders.

1) locally verifies that you can initiate an ssh connection on port 3333 with the SME Server. If this does not repeat the manip Change SSHD port from the interface of the server-manager (yes it must be locally), I wrote, I say you forgot the setting of FW and I have not head in the right commands to move.
    2) verifies that it is the port where you forwards from AliceBox to your SME Server

Your description is clear, your problem too, so you can easily help you.

Connect_Me is right, and the risk of repeating what he said, trying to change the listening port ssh from server-manager in Security => Remote Access => SSH = Settings> TCP port access SSH

Valid your changes and performs port forwarding on your box.

Because apparently the desired port is 333, but your SME to listen on port 222.

You said that you login from the Internet behind a proxy (probably that of your company ...) is that this provides to the SSH or better allows output ports called nonstandard

Since last Thursday I'm out of Telecom Network. The technician did come that next Thursday, I can not do any testing before then.

There is an error in my transcript (Because I made test with multiple ports)
    There is therefore good reason to read:

config setprop sshd TCPPort 3333
    config getprop sshd TCPPort
    grep Port /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    Port 3333
    service sshd restart
    Restarting sshd [ OK ]

db configuration show sshd
    sshd=service
    MaxAuthTries=2
    PasswordAuthentication=yes
    PermitRootLogin=yes
    Protocol=2
    TCPPort=3333
    UsePAM=yes
    access=public
    status=enabled

I confirm that:
    - Locally, I can initiate an ssh connection on port 3333 with the SME Server
    - The interface of server-manager displays good port 3333 in the remote access
    - The port 3333 is redirected from my AliceBox to EMS.

Finally I confirm that I am testing from the external position of my company but I do not know if the proxy can do SSH or allows output ports non-standard (I did not know that there might be restrictions to level).

So I will wait for my Telecom connection back then I attempt a remake from a post not behind a proxy.