Thread: Limited connectivity issue in Realtek RTL8139 NIC

Limited connectivity issue in Realtek RTL8139 NIC

Hello friends, I am facing this really weird problem with my computer. My desktop computer has Realtek RTL8139 family network interface card which has wireless capability. The computer is installed with Windows 7 operating system. The problem I am facing is I am not able to access Internet on my computer using Wireless connectivity. The wireless router which I am using Belkin G. Whenever the computer is connected to the router, it shows limited connectivity due to which I cannot access the Internet. One of my friend suggested that the problem is with the NIC which I am using. So if anybody is having Limited connectivity issue in Realtek RTL8139 NIC then please share some information. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Limited connectivity issue in Realtek RTL8139 NIC

I think the drivers of the Network adapter are not installed or working properly. To check if the drivers of the network adapter are installed and working properly or not, right click on My computer and select Manage. Now from the list, select device manager. Now from the list of the devices connected, select and highlight the Network adapter and check if there are any caution signs. If there are caution signs, then follow the onscreen procedure and complete the troubleshooting procedure. After troubleshooting check if the Internet works. If troubleshooting does not work then try and update the drivers of the network card.
    Last edited by Abdullah30; 08-02-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Windows 7 has many compatibility issues with many of the manufacturers of the devices. Due to this incompatibility issue, many of the devices do not function properly as the drivers for such devices do not work in Windows 7. The earlier version of Windows 7 was released without including drivers of most of the devices. The version which were released later included all the drivers of the devices. Hence you will have to update the Windows installation on your computer so that all the devices are supported by the Windows operating system. Update the Installation and then check if the Internet works on the computer or not.

Check the configuration of the router. If the router is not configured properly then the computers connected to it will not be able access all the resources of the network which means that the computer will be connected to the router but will not be able to access Internet on it. To check the configuration of the router, log in to the router. To login to the router, type the default IP of the router in the address bar of the browser and hit enter. Once the configuration page of the router opens, check if all the settings are properly done, make changes in the configuration if needed and then save the settings. Once all the settings are saved, reboot the router and see if you are able to connect to Internet.

The default IP version of Windows 7 is version 6 which has 128 bit of IP address. The belkin router can only provide the network with an IPv4 address which is of 32 bits. Therefore due to protocol version mismatch the computer is not able to communicate with the router properly. To solve the problem, you will have to remove the IPv6 support of Windows 7. To remove the IPv6 support of Windows 7, Open the network connection wizard and right click on LAN. Select properties and then go to TCP/IP properties. Remove the check mark against "Enable IPv6" and save and apply the settings. Now you will be able to access Internet on the computer without any problem.

It is possible that the DHCP on the router is not working properly and hence the computer is not able to connect to the router using wireless connection. DHCP is responsible for assigning IP address to the devices which are connected to the router using Wireless. If the DHCP is not working properly then the computer will not be able to use all the network resources. Connect the router to the computer using a console cable and then in the configuration and disable the DHCP. Now enter into configuration and enable the DHCP again. Once the DHCP is enabled again you will not face the same problem.

The problem could be with the network interface card which you are using. Every Network interface card has a built in software testing port. This port is known as the loop back address. By pinging the loop back address of the network card it is possible to test the Network card. All the network cards have default address as 127.0.0.0 which is same for all NIC's. Go to start and then select Run. Now in run tab, type "ping 127.0.0.0" and hit enter. Now command prompt window will open which will show errors in data sent and received. There should be no errors in the data sent and received. If there is any error then the NIC is faulty and needs to be replaced.

I have the exact same problem!

I have the Realtek RTL8139 installed on my Windows 7 - 64 bit PC and I can't for the life of me get it to receive a local IP address from my DHCP server...

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm using Windows 7 - 64 bit drivers from the Realtek website.
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

Any help is greatly appreciated... thanks!

(Also, I can ping 127.0.0.1 on the Realtek RTL8139 PC just fine, so the card isn't faulty... however I cannot ping 192.168.1.1 with a static local IP address (in the subnet).

What is your current IP address? Which router/modem are you having? Who configured it? Are you sure it was configured properly? What is 192.168.1.1? Is it your router/modem IP address?

Spyrus--genius!
    I unchecked "Enable IPv6" and not only does my network adapter work again, but my throughput about tripled.
    I have been fighting this for months.
    Will you marry me?