Thread: Network disruption on Home network

Network disruption on Home network

Hello there,I have a small home network configured which has 2 desktop PCs, 1 Laptop and a gaming console connected to a Netgear DG834G Router. The laptop and PS3 using wireless connectivity while two computers are directly connected to the router using wires. Recently I have changed the ISP and since then I am not able to access Internet on all the devices together. Only one device at a time is allowed to access the Internet which is much of a problem to me. Therefore If anybody knows what is causing Network disruption on Home network, then please suggest some solution. Out of the 3 computers, the desktops are running on Windows XP and laptop is running on Windows 7. Thanks in advance.

Re: Network disruption on Home network

Check the network configuration as there must be some changes made which is not allowing all the devices connected to the network to access Internet. The configuration of the network changes sometimes due to addition or deletion of the device from the network. If the configuration of the network changes then the devices connected to it are not able to access all the network resources. Hence check the network preferences of all the devices and do the changes which are required. If there are any changes made, then save it and then see if you are able to access the Internet or not.

I think the ISP which you are using now is not allowing the Internet connection to be shared between many devices. Many of the ISP's do not allow sharing of the connection between multiple devices. If sharing of the connection is not allowed from the ISP end, then implementing any hardware solution does not help the user to share the connection. ISP's track the MAC address of the devices which are connected to differ the services to all the devices which are connected.

There must be some duplication of the IP address taking place on the network which is why all the devices on the network are not able to access the Internet. If there exists a duplicate IP address on the network, then then network disconnects all the devices with duplicate IP address. Hence go to the network preferences of all the device which are connected to the network and check for IP duplication. If there are any duplicate IP's present, change and then see if you are able to access Internet or not.

Scan all the computers on the network as the problem you are facing can be due a virus. Some virus's have the tendency to broadcast unnecessary data on the communication channel. If such a virus infects any of the computer on the network, then the communication within the network will be hampered. If the communication channels gets flooded with lot of data, the network gets loaded and causes all the devices to disconnect. Hence scan all the systems with an Antivirus and clean all the infected files. Once all the infected files are cleaned, check the performance of the network.