Thread: Best configuration for MAC WPA

Best configuration for MAC WPA

Hi,
    I am running a 6 computer network in my office with a server attached to it. I had found some virus infections in my network recently. All the system are running on mac platform. I had made my settings more tough to provide intrusions. I need some tips on configuring a wpa settings on the network. What is the recommend safety configuration for it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Best configuration for mac wpa

For businesses that require enhanced privacy, better then turn to authentication by a Radius or LDAP server or even through a VPN. By enabling WEP encryption you need to know that your network performance will be reduced. Depending on hardware, encryption and decryption of data can cause 10 to 30% loss of performance. To you then choose between speed and safety. For us, it's seen everything.

Pending the implementation of the 802.11i standard for highly secure wireless networks, the Wi-Fi Alliance has developed the standard WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) to fill the security holes of WEP. Encryption is improved compared to WEP and it is possible to implement a user authentication with EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol). This however is reserved for companies that can implement an EAP authentication server.

A special mode of WPA (WPA-PSK: Pre Shared Key) is however to allow everyone to benefit from improved availability of encryption without authentication server. If your hardware allows it, so select a WPA encryption. In the interface of the Livebox, click the Wireless Network menu. In the Settings section of your wireless network, pull down the list and then select Security WPA. Click the Setup button WPA. follow the wizard

You can make that more secure by entering a complex sentence of your choice in the Passphrase field. For extra safety, be sure to mix letters and numbers and that your sentence makes at least 32 signs long. Scroll encryption then select TKIP. If your network card allows (refer to its documentation), choose AES encryption is much more effective. Finally click the Apply button and then save the changes. Define a compound key.

For a complex key, it must be long, it is composed of alpha numeric characters and also special characters if possible. To help you choose a new key, you can use an automatic password, such as integrated software KeePass. For filtering WEP, your key will be 26 characters long, while for filtering WPA, it will have a length of at least 32 characters. Click here to learn how to automatically generate a complex key.