Thread: Need help in configuring Netgear DG834G Router?

Need help in configuring Netgear DG834G Router?

Hello people, I really need your expertise in solving this small problem of mine. I have an Airtel broadband connection on my desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP operating system. Recently I bought a new Sony laptop which has Windows 7 on it. I want to share the same Internet connection on my laptop with my desktop computer for which I bought a Netgear DG834G router which has wireless capability. The Airtel connection is provided by a wired beetel router. I dont know how to configure the new router hence need help in configuring Netgear DG834G router to share the connection. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Need help in configuring Netgear DG834G Router?

Before implementing any hardware solutions for sharing the same Internet connection on multiple computers, first contact the ISP and ask if sharing of the connection is allowed or not. If the sharing of the connection is not allowed then implementing any hardware to share the connection will not work. All the ISP's track the MAC address of the devices which are connected to the network. Tracking the MAC address helps the ISP's to differ the services between the computers. Hence if sharing of the connection is not allowed, then you will not be able to use it on the laptop.

It is easy to connect the Netgear router to the network so that the connection can be shared between the computers without any problems. You will be needing a cross cable to connect two routers with each other. Once the two routers are connected, connect a computer to the netgear router using an Ethernet cable. Now in the address bar of the browser enter the Default IP address of the router. Enter the user name and password. Now the browser will redirect you to the router configuration page. Go to wireless tab and enable the WLAN. Select the authentication, encryption and password for the network. Save all the settings and then reboot the router. Now you will be able to connect to Internet using wifi on Sony laptop.

You can still use the Wired router which is provided by the ISP to share the connection. Connect the laptop to the router using a Ethernet cable. Contact your ISP and get a static IP address for the laptop. Open the Network connection wizard on the laptop and open the LAN properties. Go to TCP/IP utilities and select properties. Enter the IP address provided by the ISP. Enter the Default gateway address and preferred DNS address which will also be provided by the ISP. Apply all the settings and then restart the computer and the router. Now you will be able to share same connection on both the computer.

The default IP version of Windows 7 is version 6 while the default IP version of Windows XP is version 4. Therefore if two computers which are running Windows 7 and Windows xp are connected on same network then the Windows 7 computer will not be able to use the network resources due to IP version mismatch. Hence you will have to disable the IPv6 support in Windows 7. To disable the IPv6 support in Windows 7, go to TCP/IP properties and then remove the checkmark against the option called "Enable IPv6" and apply the settings.

There is no need to connect the Netgear router to the beetel router. The beetel router can be removed and Netgear router alone can be used to connect to the network. To do that, Login to the beetel router and copy all the configurations of the router in a text file. Save this text file. Now connect the Netgear router to DSL line and then login to the router using a computer. Now open the configuration page and configure the router by referring the text file of the configuration of Beetel router. Once all configuration is done, save it and then reboot the router. Dont forget to enable the WLAN on the router if you want to use Wireless connectivity.