Thread: Are no permissions defined on root by design in Windows 7

Are no permissions defined on root by design in Windows 7

My system is installed with windows 7. Yesterday i saw an error that when I created a new sub folder off of the root of my C drive. It was showing a lock symbol and without any inherited permission. and the security box throws the "No permissions have been assigned for this object" error. please tell me Are no permissions defined on the root by design in Windows 7 and also how to get rid of this error.
    Last edited by Caidenn; 06-02-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Re: Are no permissions defined on the root by design in Windows 7

Since windows 7 is very much secure operating system. The root directory is protected in both the windows vista as well as windows 7 for security reason since it is built to do this. Also because the person who access this object can take ownership of the object. Hope you understood.

Re: Are no permissions defined on root by design in Windows 7

I am very thankful to spyrus for explaining me i got your point its quiet irritating to keep files in the root. But can you tell me what about sub-folders off of the root for example consider the temp folder. what are the permissions inherited by this folder. Since i don't want to have all my sub-directories off my Documents folders as they are redirected to the server in our corporate environment.

I want to ask a question that i have boththe windows 7 and windows vista running on my system. I am allowed to write on the root files of windows Vista operating system. I am the administrator on both windows vista as well as windows 7 but why i am unable to write on root in windows 7. thanks in advance.

If you try to have a closer look on the security settings for the directory. You will see an entry as "unknown account S-2-4-96" followed by a very long chain of numbers. The current operating system nows about the account of the other one, although you assigned the same userid. You will have to make the use of your windows 7 userid.