Thread: Mac Mini to use as NAS

Mac Mini to use as NAS

Hello,

I have a Synology NAS (a DS-209+) that I replaced a few months by a Mac Mini. I use it mainly as a file server (local and remote), as the download server (http/ftp, Bittorrent and newsgroups) and possibly as Media Center as it is near my TV.

I wonder what would be the best software for remote administration via a web page as on my Synology. Is it better to go through a linux OS (such Freen)? Or a Mac OS X Server using the web administration of several different programs ...

If some of you use a server like this, I'd like to listen form you.

Thank you!

Re: Mac Mini to use as NAS

And why not just screen sharing in Mac OS X?

It make the expensive server version just for that (especially as the client version do very well)

That's what I do at home, and it works perfectly.

The problem is that sometimes I need to administer it far from home, at work, for example (all ports are blocked, except possibly through a vpn).

And I also need to host my site + my mail (IMAP + webmail). This hack on Mac OS normal but not necessarily well integrated into the system.

I think the same thing as you, a Mac Mini with Firewire 800 external drive. I would use this platform to be a file server, and launch iTunes on my stereo. My amp has DLNA / UPnP, but the interface is so clumsy as to be unusable. I May use it to make the Internet, slideshows, and play DVDs on my flat screen TV.

Well, a Mac Mini is easy to install and have the advantage of being able to double as a travel hub, but do you really want to start making when it also serves files for 2 people? I think it can really affect the performance of file sharing. Also because the mini-USB and has only fw that you can attach to this storage could be slow if you're serving large files.

A NAS has the advantage of being able to do things like RAID5 out of the box which adds another layer of security. People seem to like the Netgear ReadyNAS that will look great on paper (never used myself).