Thread: Winsock Catalog and Internet Connection Problems

Winsock Catalog and Internet Connection Problems

I have a problem with one of my home computers running XP home edition. The computer cannot connect to the internet with Mozzilla Firefox, and limited connection using Internet Explorer.
    I can connect to many sites including Google and Yahoo with IE, but can not log in to either site for email. It appear I can only access sites with IE that do not need a password or they are https secure sites. I have followed many of the previous postings to try to resolve the problem, but it is still the same. I tried to restore to a previous day, but it is still the same.

This is what I have done so far
    1. Scanned with Malware Bytes
    2. Scanned with PC Tools Registry Mechanic
    3. Used the following cmd’s:
    . netsh int ip reset reset.log
    . netsh winsock reset catalog
    4. Disabeled firewall.
    5. Tried Pinging computer IP address:
    . received error 5. Same error when Pinging Gateway and DNS server
    6. Tried the Microsoft Winsock2 Fix # 50203
    7. Tried the Microsoft Internet Protocol TCP/IP Fix # 50199

Any suggestions?

Re: Winsock Catalog and Internet Connection Problems

Many Internet connectivity problems are caused by corrupt winsock settings. For more information you can check out the following link. First update and scan your computer with your security products such as antivirus and antispyware applications. When Winsock corrupts, the networking errors that you may face include unable to surf the Internet with “Page cannot be displayed” error message on your Internet Explorer. WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries.

I finally got it working last night. I went back to Microsoft's site and went through all of the recommendations they had. I did them all back to back. The I reloaded IE with all the security updates, reset the computer, and it works. Not sure what fixed it, but it is working now
    THANKS

I am experiencing very similar problems. I can ping, I can VPN and I can browse the INTRANET but I can not ftp, http or https to the INTERNET. I have reset the winsock catalogue the short way i.e. netsh etc and the long way by editing the registry etc. I have removed and reinstalled the the protocols, removed and re-installed the adapters but still no access and no events anywhere to tell me what the problem might be. I have checked local and group policy and can't see anything untoward. Now I have just completed 3 hours of reinstalling drivers and still no joy....Anyone any ideas???

It seems that your firewall is stopping the connection with the HTTP, FTp files. Which antivrus you are using i hope that you are not using the Norton which are causing the problem like this. Check the Firewall setting on the Anti virus and then try again. Also to know about the problem check out the link given below which are having the similar problem.
    Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP

Like you I suspected it might be a proxy or firewall issue but I have nothing on my machine that indicated as such. I have resolved my issue however by booting upn in safe mode and manually disabling Symantec Endpoint (note: you can't remove without the password depending on group policy) and then deleting the installed directories and files. On restart, Symantec re-installs itself and hey presto all is cleared. There was no evidence in the product to suggest a problem or how to resolve which is terribly short sighted of Symantec. How can you trust in something that isn't honest and open.

I am also having problems with the winsock catalog getting corrupted. Rebooting solves the problem, but only temporarily. At this point I have to restart about every other day. What causes this and how can I fix permanently?