Thread: Problems with D-Link WDA-2320 wireless adapter

Problems with D-Link WDA-2320 wireless adapter

Hello people, I have an Acer laptop which was running on Windows XP operating system. I used to surf on Internet using Wifi on the laptop. The laptop has a D-Link WDA-2320 wireless adapter which is used to connect to the wireless network. While using Windows XP, the Wireless adapter used to get connected to the network with full 4 bars. Recently I upgraded the operating system on my laptop to Windows 7 but now the D-Link wireless adapter connects to the wireless adapter with only 2 to 3 bars. The router which I connect to is a Linksys wireless router. I cant figure out if the problem is with the router or the laptop. So therefore if anyone is facing similar Problems with D-Link WDA-2320 wireless adapter, then please share some information. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Re: Problems with D-Link WDA-2320 wireless adapter

The signal strength of the wireless connection depends on the distance of the computer from the wireless router or the wireless access point. If the distance is more between the computer and the wireless access point or the router then the signal strength will be low as compared to the signal strength when the computer is closer to the router or access point. Also if there are certain metallic objects in the vicinity of the computer or the router then the signal gets dispersed which causes the signal strength to reduce. Hence check the connection strength when the computer is closer to the router and see if it proper or not. If there are certain metallic objects in vicinity of the router or the computer, remove them and then check the signal strength.

Windows 7 has lot of compatibility issues with many of the manufacturers of the network adapters. Due to this incompatibility issue, there are no drivers available for network adapters belonging to these manufacturers. Hence check if the manufacturer of the network adapter which you are using is supported by Windows 7 operating system. If it is supported, then download the drivers which is supported by the Windows 7 for the model of the network adapter which you are using. You can also try and upgrade the drivers which are currently installed on the computer by going to device manager.

Check the configuration of the router. If the router is not configured properly then devices which are connected to it will not be able to access all the resources of the network. To check the configuration of the router, login to the router. To login to the router you will be needing the default IP address of the router which can be found out by referring the user manual of the router. Type this default IP address in the address bar of the browser and then hit enter. If you have not changed the user name and the password of the router, use the default combination. Once logged in go to the configuration and then check if the configuration is properly done or not.

Is there any other wireless access point or router in vicinity? If yes then it could be the cause of the problem. If there are multiple wireless devices in same area and if all the devices are transmitting at the same frequency then the signal strengths of all the devices gets hampered. Therefore if there are any wireless device in vicinity then try changing the wireless channel of your router and the laptop to some other channel and then see if you can get the full signal strength or not. Changing the transmitting channel will help in your case I think.

I think the network interface card on the laptop is not working properly and hence you are not getting full signal strength. The Wireless adapter finally uses services of the Network interface card. If the NIC is faulty then wireless adapter will not work properly. To check the NIC, ping the software testing port of the NIC. Every network card has a software testing port which has default IP address of 127.0.0.0 which is known as loop back address. Type "ping 127.0.0.0" in command prompt. Check the errors in packets sent and received by the network card. Ideally there should not be any errors. If there are errors then the NIC is faulty and needs to be replaced.