Thread: Buffalo router not allowing more than one wireless connection?

Buffalo router not allowing more than one wireless connection?

Hello, I have a computer which is running on Windows XP operating system. The computer is connected to a Buffalo Wireless router using Wired connection. I have two laptops both having Windows 7 on them. The problem is that I am not able to connect both the computers to the router at the same time. Only one laptop can connect to the router using Wireless. As I dont have networking knowledge I am unable to find the solution. So if somebody can explain me why Buffalo router is not allowing more than one wireless connection, it would be very useful. Do I need to change the router to connect more devices? Please help.
    Last edited by Christia; 04-02-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Re: Buffalo router not allowing more than one wireless connection?

Check the configuration of the router first. It is possible that the router is not configured properly and hence you are not able to connect multiple devices to the router using Wireless connection. The configuration of the router is very important for a network to work properly. If the router is not configured properly then the whole network may go down if multiple devices are tried to connect using Wireless connection. To check the configuration of the router, login to the router and then go to the configuration page. Contact your ISP and confirm if the configuration is proper or not. Save changes if made any and then reboot the router.

It is possible that the computers which you are trying to connect to the network using Wireless connection are infected by some virus which is not letting the other computers to connect to the network. Some virus's have the tendency to broadcast unnecessary data on the communication channel due to which the communication channel gets flooded and is not able to accommodate other devices. Hence scan both the computer with an updated antivirus and check all the infected files. Repair or quarantine the infected files and then see if the computers are able to connect to the router or not. Do not delete any files as it may cause total system failure.

The router is not able to handle the amount of traffic which is created by multiple devices when connected together and hence the devices are getting disconnected. Router work on algorithms, which is nothing but operating system of the router. If the algorithm of the router is not strong enough then the router will not be able to handle more traffic. Hence replacing the current router with a new wireless router is only solution which I can see in your case. Go to the official website of the manufacturers of the router and then see the number of devices supported by the router using wireless communication.

The default IP version of Windows 7 operating system is version 6 while the default IP version of Windows XP is version 4. Therefore if computers which are running on Windows xp and Windows 7 operating system are connected on the same network then due to IP version conflict the computer which is operating on Windows 7 operating system will not be able to connect to the network. I think you are also facing the same problem as the computer which is connected to the router is Working on Windows Xp. Hence to connect the Windows 7 computer to the network, you will have to disable the IPv6 support. To disable IPv6 support, open the Network connections and then go to TCP/IP properties. In TCP/IP properties remove the checkmark from enable IPv6 option and then save the settings. Exit the wizard. Now you will be able to connect to the router without any problems.

I think the devices are getting disconnected from the network due to IP duplication. Whenever a device is connected to the router, router assigns the IP address to the computer dynamically using DHCP. If the DHCP on the router is not working properly then same IP address will be assigned to multiple devices. If computers with same IP address are present on the same network then both the computers get disconnected from the network. To solve the problem, login to the router and then disable the DHCP and restart the router. Once the router restart, log in again and enable the DHCP again and see if the computers are able to connect to the network or not. If enabling the DHCP again does not work then try and upgrade the firmware of the router and then see if the computers are able to connect to the router or not. To upgrade the firmware of the router, you will have to connect the router to the computer using console cable.