Thread: Error Opening Windows Firewall : 0x800706D9

Error Opening Windows Firewall : 0x800706D9

Hi,

After I have formatted my pc, I am unable to use utorrent. When I start utorrent, it always gives error message : Error opening Windows firewall: 0x800706D9. When I close utorrent and restart it the error message is gone. I have Norton Personal Firewall and I am running windows vista on my pc. Can someone tell me why is this occurring?

Re: Error Opening Windows Firewall : 0x800706D9

You should be ignore that, it would be affecting their connectivity status. Really all it means is utorrent WindowsFirewall had problems accessing (lol that's disabled). Have you allowed utorrent in correctly in Norton Personal Firewall? you need to change you Norton Personal Firewall settings, then test connections to torrents in utorrent and see if it stays a solid green for you. If so then you know Norton Personal Firewall is the issue and see if it allows access utorrent. Even UPnP might fix the problem, even if manually forwarding it does not require UPnP.

The yellow light means you have no input current connections. If this never turns green, this means that the port will not be sent. The best way to check is with the μTorrent port correction, which is in the Speed Guide. If the spell of the port said that the port is open. The red light means that μTorrent was unable to bind a listening socket. Most likely, this means a firewall is blocking. It is also possible that another torrent client you are using this port, which will require you to change ports, or not run both clients at the same time.

There is a difference between just turn off the Vista firewall control center and stop the firewall wall service. If you disable the Windows firewall service is still running with Norton. In turn the firewall, and download, install Webroot Desktop Firewall or Zone Alarm, but the Zone Alarm slows the PC start-up, and the torrents to work, you must let go online at uTorrrent.

As per Utorrent, this error message means that µTorrent was unable to add itself as an exception to the Windows Firewall, using the standard Windows Firewall API. This most likely means that the firewall is disabled or not present. You can safely ignore this error. However, if you have another software firewall, you will still need to manually configure it to allow incoming and outgoing connections.