Thread: How to open router configuration page?

How to open router configuration page?

Hello people, I have a desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP operating system on it. The desktop computer is connected to a broadband connection. The broadband connection is provided through the Linksys WRT54G2 Router. Now I want to share the connection with my laptop and hence I need to configure the router again. Therefore I want to know How to open the Router configuration page? So if anybody has any knowledge about the issue please let me know.

Re: How to open router configuration page?

To be able to configure the router it is necessary that you login to the router first. Once you have logged in to the router, you can access the router configuration page. The configurations of the router should be changed only if you are sure otherwise changing the configuration can take the whole network down. To log in to the router, find the default IP address of the router by referring the user manual. Enter this IP address in the address bar of the browser and hit enter. Now the system will prompt you to enter user name and password. If you have not changed the user name and password, use default combination mentioned in the manual. Once the user name and password are entered correctly, you will be redirected to the configuration page.

Thanks for replying to the post. I tried the method suggested by you but it did not work. I found out the default IP address of the router and entered in the address bar. Entered valid user name and password and I get redirected to the configuration page but the router configuration page is not visible properly. What could be the problem?

Is there any security software installed on the computer like firewall or an Antivirus? If yes then it could be blocking you from viewing the page correctly. The tendency of the security software is to block any unknown traffic originating or incoming to the computer but sometimes they block the traffic desired by the user. Try disabling the firewall and the real time shield of the Antivirus and then see if you are able to view the configuration page correctly or not. Disabling the security software's should solve the problem.

Yes disabling the Firewall and antivirus really helped me in viewing the router configuration page correctly but I am not sure as in what settings to put so that I am able to share same Internet connection on the desktop computer and the laptop. The laptop will be connected to the router using Wifi. So if you can help me in configuring the router, it would be really helpful.

First be sure that the ISP which you are using allows sharing of connection. If the ISP allows sharing of Internet connection then it is very easy to configure the router to share the connection. Follow the steps below to configure the router :-
    1. Login to the router.
    2. Open the configuration page.
    3. Open the Wireless Tab.
    4. Now Check mark against the option saying Enable Wireless.
    5. Now select the encryption type you want.
    6. Put an authentication password.
    7. Keep a SSID which is unique.
    8. Save the configuration, log out of the router.
    9. Reboot the router.
    After rebooting check if the WLAN LED on the router is glowing. Now start Wifi on the laptop and search for the available networks. Select the network which has SSID which you have kept and click on connect. Enter the password and you will be able to share the connection. Hope the post helps.