Thread: Limited connectivity on Netgear Router

Limited connectivity on Netgear Router

Hello people, I have a laptop which is running on Windows XP service pack 3. I have subscribed for Internet connection which will be provided through a cable modem which inturn is connected to a Netgear wireless router. The problem which I am facing with the router is that I get limited connectivity to the network on my laptop. Due to which I am not able to surf the Internet at all. One of my friend who has networking knowledge told me that the router is having problem. I am not sure if he is right and hence I need to be confirm about the root cause of the problem. Therefore if anybody else is facing the Limited connectivity on Netgear Router then please share some information which may help me in solving the problem.

Re: Limited connectivity on Netgear Router

I would suggest you to check the link which is providing bandwidth to the cable modem. It is possible that the link is not able to provide the bandwidth which you have subscribed for and hence you are getting a limited connectivity issues. Get the link checked by your ISP and tell them to rectify the problem. Meanwhile you can also check the link by your self by visiting the websites like Speedtest and Pingtest which provide online tests which can be performed on the link. After performing tests the website will also grade the link according to its performance.

Many times it happens that the modem which is connected to the router is not able to register the MAC address of the devices connected to it. If this happens then the devices which are connected to the modem cannot use the full resources of the network. The symptoms of your problem are similar to it. To solve this problem you will have to restart the modem while the router is plugged in. Restarting the modem while the router is plugged in will ensure that the Mac address of the router gets registered at the ISP end and will enable the router to use all the resources of the network.

Check if the router is configured properly or not. If the router is not configured properly, then it will function properly and devices will not be able to connect to the router. To check the configuration of the router you will have to log in to the router. To login to the router you will be needing its Default IP address which can be found out by referring user manual. Type this default IP address in the address bar of the browser and then hit enter. Now the system will ask for the user name and password. Enter correct information and you will be redirected to the router configuration page. Open the configuration page and check each and every setting. If needed contact the ISP to be sure if the configuration done is proper.

Is there any security software installed on the laptop which you are trying to connect to the router? If yes then it could be the root cause of the problem which you are facing. The basic tendency of the security software's is to block incoming and the outgoing traffic. If such an application is enabled on the computer then there is high possibility that the connection to the network will have limited access. Therefore if there is any security software installed on the computer, disable the real time shield and unblock all the processes and then try to connect to the network.

All the devices which are connected to the computer require drivers to be installed on the computer. If the drivers are not installed for a particular device then that device may not work properly. Drivers acts as a mediator between the device and the operating system. Therefore check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working properly on the computer. To check if the drivers are installed and working properly, go to device manager and then check the status of the network adapter. If there are any caution signs, follow the troubleshooting procedure. Try and update the drivers and see if it works.