Thread: Linksys WRT160n router disconnects after 5 minutes

Linksys WRT160n router disconnects after 5 minutes

Hello, I have a desktop computer which is running on Windows XP and is connected to Internet using a Linksys WRT160n router which in turn is connected to the cable modem which provides the main bandwidth. Recently I changed the ISP and found out that the Linksys WRT160n router loses connectivity frequently due to which I am unable to play online. I get kicked out of the server when the router loses the connection. I never used to face the same problem with the previous ISP. I dont know if the problem is with router or the ISP. Please help.
    Last edited by Christia; 02-02-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Re: Linksys WRT160n router disconnects after 5 minutes

To be able to play games online it is required to that the Internet connection should be good. While playing online lot of data is transferred which requires high speed Internet. If the Internet connection is not good then you are bound to get kicked from the server as you will have high latency. Mostly the online game servers are configured to kick the players who have higher latency and this may be the reason behind you getting kicked. Hence check if the Internet connection which you are using is good for playing online games.

As you were not facing the problem with previous ISP, it is possible that the Internet connection which you are using currently is having some problems. If the link which provides the main bandwidth to the user is flappy then frequent disconnections are bound to happen. Hence I would suggest you to get the Link checked by the ISP and rectify the fault in the Link. Meanwhile you can check the Link yourself by visiting the Websites like Speedtest and Pingtest which provide online tests which decides the grade of services of the link.

Linksys WRT160n router comes with built in firewall. If the firewall is enabled then it will create problems while accessing the Internet as the firewall will block the traffic if it is not configured properly. It is possible that the previous ISP configured the routers firewall properly and hence you did not face any problems while using Internet. Try disabling the firewall of the router and then see if the router gets disconnected frequently. To disable the firewall, log in to the router and then disable the firewall. To login to the router you will require the default IP address of the router which you can find by referring the user manual. Once logged in, go to security tab and disable the firewall. After disabling the firewall, save the configuration and then reboot the router.

Like all the other devices routers also works on software which is known as algorithm. This algorithm like any other software can get corrupt and can get stuck. If the algorithm of the router gets stuck then it may lose connectivity to the network. I think the firmware of the router which you are using is getting stuck and due to which you are losing connectivity. Updating the firmware of the router wills solve the problem for sure. To update the firmware of the router, connect the router to a computer which has internet connection. Connect the router to the computer using a console cable. Go to the official website of the manufacturer of the router and then download the latest firmware available for the router and then install it on the router. Hopefully updating the firmware will solve the problem.

Try doing a Full power cycle and then see if the router loses connectivity to the network or not. Sometime it happens that the modem is not able to register the MAC address of the devices which are connected to it and hence the device gets disconnected. Doing a full power cycle will flush all the entries of the MAC address which will avoid problem of registration of MAC address of the devices. Follow these steps to perform a full power cycle.
    1. Shut down all the devices which are connected to the network.
    2. Disconnect all the cables connecting the devices to the router and modem.
    3. Connect all the cables properly.
    4. Power on the modem first and let it stabilize.
    5. Power on the Router and let it stabilize.
    6. Power on the computer only when the router stabilizes.