Thread: Sony Laptop cannot connect to Buffalo Wireless router

Sony Laptop cannot connect to Buffalo Wireless router

Hello there, I have an Internet connection which is connected to the desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP on it. The Internet connection is provided to the computer from a Cable modem which is connected to the Buffalo router which is inturn connected to the computer. The buffalo router has Wireless capability. Recently I bought a Sony Vaio Laptop which is running on Windows 7 operating system. The problem is Sony laptop does not connect to Buffalo wireless router. I tried many times to connect to the router but all in vain. The wireless network is not seen on the Sony laptop. As I have limited knowledge of networking I cant figure out what the problem is and hence need your help in solving the issue. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Sony Laptop cannot connect to Buffalo Wireless router

Many Internet service provider do not allow the sharing of same Internet connection between two computers. If the sharing of the connection is not allowed by the Service provider then you will not be able to another computer to the same connection. Internet service providers track the MAC address of the computers which are using there services. This helps the ISP's to differ the services to the computers connected to its connection. Therefore even if you connect the laptop to the network, you will not be able to access Internet on the laptop.

Are you sure the Wireless capability is enabled on the router? The Router with Wireless capability means that the Router can be used in Wireless mode if required. Therefore to use the router in Wireless mode it is necessary that the Wireless capability of the router should be enabled. Once the Wireless capability of the router is enabled, the wireless network of the router will be seen by the laptop and you will be able to connect to the router without any problems.

How will I know if the Wireless capability of the router is enabled? And if it is not enabled then how do I enable it? I have never configured the router before so please guide me step by step so that I am able to enable the Wireless capability of the router. Will Enabling the Wireless capability of the router solve the problem?
    Last edited by Rafaeel; 02-02-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Every Wireless router has a Wlan led on it. If the WLAN led is glowing then it means Wireless is enabled. If the LED is not glowing then the Wireless is not enabled. To enable Wireless you will have to login to the router. To login to the router connect the router to a computer using a LAN cable or console cable. Now find the default IP address of the router in the user manual and enter it in the address bar of the browser. Enter the default user name and password. Now you will be redirected to configuration page. Click on the Wireless tab and then check mark against Use WLAN. Now select the encryption and the authentication password. Keep a unique SSID and then enable the DHCP. Now save the settings and reboot the router. Now the Wlan LED will glow which means that Wireless is on. Now start Wifi on the laptop and then search for available networks. Select the Network which has SSID which you have kept and click on connect. Provide correct authentication password and you will be able to connect to Internet.

The default IP version of Windows 7 is IPv6 while the default IP version of Windows XP is IPv4. The DHCP which is enabled on the router will assign the IPv4 IP address to the device connected to the router using Wireless connection which may create problems while connecting laptop which is running on Windows 7. Hence to avoid such problem, you will have to disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7. To disable the IPv6 support, go to TCP/IP properties and remove the check mark in front of IPv6 and then apply the settings. Now you will be able to connect to the router without any problems.