Thread: Win32/Gibmed detection found by AVG

Win32/Gibmed detection found by AVG

Last week when I scanned my computer after finishing my work there was an alert message generated by AVG regarding Win32/Gibmed detection. I selected the delete option. But the again when yesterday I scanned my computer again I got the same alert message for Win32/Gibmed detection. I guess AVG is not able to cure this threat. What should I do?

Scan in Safe mode with AVG

I do not think the AVG is not able to delete this threat it can be that some malicious program had made its way to your computer by disguising as a original program. Probably you might have thought of it been a legal program and might have installed it. For such kinds of threats it is recommended that you always make use of the Windows Safe Mode by rebooting your computer and pressing the F8 key. Run a Scan in Safe mode with AVG to terminate the detected threat.

Gibmed virus is a Adware

The Gibmed virus which is been detected by your anti-virus is a detection for a Adware program that has the potential to modify your internet usage in order to execute malicious contents. The adware may also try to explore vulnerability on the web browser (usually the Internet Explorer). Some Adware may do not themselves contain any malicious code and hence may not be identified by the anti-virus but them may allow other malicious programs such as Trojans and Viruses to be downloaded to your system.net experience.

Verify the presence of Win32/Gibmed

In order to verify that the anti virus has deleted the detected Win32/Gibmed infection look out for the existence of the following Win32/Gibmed files.
    • gibidl.dll (or gibidl64.dll)
    • gibupt.exe
    • gibsvc.exe
    • gibcom.dll
    • gibusr.exe
    all the files that are mentioned above are hosted by a Winsudate folder that is placed in the Program Files folder. If these files are present on your machine then your computer is infected by Win32/Gibmed.

Re: Win32/Gibmed detection found by AVG

Well as suggested I checked for the presence of gibupt.exe, gibidl64.dll, gibsvc.exe, gibcom.dll and gibusr.exe malicious files. And as I thought these files were indeed present on my computer system. Also I tried the using the safe mode scan. After I had scanned my computer in safe mode and verify the presence of the malicious files they were still present, When I tried to Shift+Del the files another alerted was generated stated that the files are being used by some process and hence cannot be deleted. How to delete the Win32/Gibmed detection?

Restore your computer's settings

For all Windows Users there is an in-built application of Windows that enables users to restore the computer's settings. This application is called the System Restore application.This settings is a previous setting point wherein Windows was running safely and was stable. In case the user computer is hit by a virus, trojan, worm, adware, spyware then this application can be quite handy to restore the settings to get your computer back to stable state.