Thread: Need Help in configuring router for Xbox Live

Need Help in configuring router for Xbox Live

Hello there, I have a Desktop computer which is running on Windows 7. The desktop computer is connected to a broadband connection through a Linksys WRT54GR wireless router. The computer is connected to the router using wired connection. I have a Xbox 360 which I want to connect to online games using Xbox live. I tried connecting the Xbox to the router but I was not able to play the games online. Therefore I need Help in configuring the router for Xbox live. So if anybody knows how to configure the Router, please suggest some solutions.

Re: Need Help in configuring router for Xbox Live

There is no need to configure the router separately for connecting the Xbox to the router. You will just need a straight Ethernet cable for connecting the Xbox to the router. Connect the one end of the cable to the Xbox and the other end to the router. All the Xbox's have an built in IP address which will be detected by the router and the router will establish the connection with the Xbox. Once the router establishes the connection with Xbox, you will be able to play online using Xbox live.

To be able to play online using Xbox Live it is necessary that the router supports the Xbox live feature. If the router does not support the Xbox Live feature then you will not able to play online using the same router. Hence check if the router is listed in the routers which support Xbox live feature. If the router is not listed then you will have to buy some other router which supports the Xbox live feature and then connect the router to the Xbox.

If the router is has extra Ethernet port then you can connect the router to the Xbox without any problems. Connect the router to the Xbox using Ethernet cable and then log in to the router using the computer. To login to the router, you will be needing the default IP address of the router which will be provided in the user manual. Once the default IP address is entered, system will prompt for user name and password. Provide the right information and then you will redirected to the configuration page. Now open the ports of the router which you require for Xbox Live. The ports can be found on the Xbox live website. Now save the configuration settings and then reboot the router. Now you will be able to enjoy the online gaming experience using Xbox live.

You can use the computer which is connected to the Internet as the bridge between the Xbox and the Internet. You will require an external Wireless adapter to connect the computer to the router. First enable the Wlan feature of the router by accessing the configuration of the router and then connect the computer using Wireless connectivity. Now connect the Xbox with the computer using an Ethernet cable. Now Turn on the Xbox and open the Network connections wizard. Now click on the Manage Network button. Now you will see the Xbox and the computer connected to the Network. Now press control and select both the devices and then right click and select Bridge network. Now wait for the page to reload. Once the page reloads you will see the bridge connected. Thats all you will have to do for connecting to Xbox live.