Thread: Configuring Proxy server on different platforms

Configuring Proxy server on different platforms

I am a simply home user with broadband connection at my home and MAN also,I wanted to access some more thing from any desired server that is not permitted to every user in the network but I have some limited authorities to access. So how I would do that,It depends on my network or anything else.please suggest me. What is role of proxy server in the client server architecture and how would I design it.

The proxy server is one that receives the requests from client and dispatches to the desired server.It is designed in case when a client is not permitted to access everything from the server but have some services to access then client can use the concept of proxy server.

The proxy server act as a mediator between client and server.It acts as a server when it receive the request from client and after as a client when it dispatch the request again to the main server.

WinProxy :

Winproxy is most famous proxy server for the windows based system. The reason of the popularity of this proxy server is that it doesn't requires any software installed earlier, it is also called as transparent proxy server using the NAT (Network Address Translation) facility through which client system uses proxy server as virtually. The client system would be unaware of execution of proxy server.
    Usual caching and security features are also provided by this proxy server with some mandatory protocols like- HTTP,FTP,NNTP,DNS,IMAP 4,etc.

The winproxy server is most famous proxy server for windows based systems which you can configure with these steps;

1.Install the TCP/IP protocol on every computer systems in the existing network.
    2. open the Install Wizard which will ask you about product registration key, enter the product key and go for next.
    3. Next step will ask you about youe internet connection,enter proper information about your the connectivity.
    4. enter the userid and password of internet connection
    5. It will perform some operation regarding IP address and assign a unique IP address to each device in the network.
    6. Winproxy will ask you to disconnect from internet.
    7. In the last step it will verify your installation and then you can use and access the proxy server.

NAT (Network Address translation) :

NAT (Network Address Translation) is a technique to preserving scarce of Internet IP addresses.

When a computer system is working with winproxy server in the network,the NAT receives a request from the network client, it converts the packet header and manipulate the requested client's port number and IP address into its own port number and external IP address. It dispatches that request to the server on the Internet and the same process happens again when it retrieves the data from server after all of the manipulations.