Thread: How to create a secure VPN with Tor

How to create a secure VPN with Tor

Hi, i am having a laptop with Windows Vista that i mostly use at the public places connected with WiFi. It is obvious that i am not safe to use wifi on public places in terms of my personal data, passwords, etc. So i came to know that there is an application named Tor that can help me in securing my system. At present i don't know anything about Tor. Could you guys please give me some important info about and how to create a secure VPN with Tor ? Any help will be appreciated.

Re: How to create a secure VPN with Tor

Tor is a network of volunteers who serve as relay users who require privacy online. It protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers around the world. Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security known as traffic analysis.

Tor comes as a package without installation (portable) with the VPN client (to create a secure VPN tunnel), Firefox (browser) and Pidgin (instant messaging) and prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you 've visited, and prevents the sites you've visited to know your location. Tor works with many of your existing applications, including web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote login, and other applications based on the TCP protocol.

Tor helps to reduce the risks of both simple and sophisticated traffic analysis by distributing your transactions over several places on the Internet, so no single point can link you to your destination. In order to create a secure VPN with Tor, just go through these simple steps:-
    • In Windows Explorer, open the folder where you downloaded and unzipped Tor, your USB stick for example and double click the folder Tor Browser.
    • Double click the Start Tor Browser.exe.
    • Vidalia in the window that opens a secure connection with Tor is initialized.
    • After a few seconds, the connection is made and you are connected to Tor.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrus View Post
    [*]Vidalia in the window that opens a secure connection with Tor is initialized.[*]After a few seconds, the connection is made and you are connected to Tor.[/LIST]
    Hey mates, thanks for the quick and valuable reply. I think now i can easily go with Tor and secure VPN. But the only thing confusing for me is Vidalia .. please make me know Vidalia ? Thanks again..

Vidalia is a GUI for Tor, but is not available in official repositories.It is a cross-platform controller GUI for the Tor software, built using the Qt framework. Vidalia runs on most platforms supported by Qt 4.3 or later, including Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux or other Unix variants using the X11 window system. On the General tab, you can specify if Vidalia should be launched automatically at Windows startup, and if Tor should also be launched at this time.

Tor versions of Firefox and Pidgin are already preconfigured to use the VPN connection and secure. You can surf with your favorite browser (even if it's Firefox) when the Internet connection is safe and use Firefox and Pidgin Tor when you're on a public network. To create a private network pathway with Tor, the user's software or client incrementally builds a circuit of encrypted connections through relays on the network. The circuit is extended one hop at a time, and each relay along the way knows only which relay gave it data and which relay it is giving data to. No individual relay ever knows the complete path that a data packet has taken.

yesvpn Guest

why not use other vpn.