Thread: Need help in configuring Asus router with Netgear GLB-802c modem

Need help in configuring Asus router with Netgear GLB-802c modem

I really need your help in solving this minor issue of mine. I have an Airtel connection which is connected to my Desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP operating system. Recently I bought a Sony laptop which has a Wireless capability. The Airtel connection is provided through a Netgear GLB-802c modem. Now I want to share the same connection on the laptop as well as the desktop computer and hence I bought a new Asus WL520gu wireless router but I am not able to connect the router to the modem successfully. There I Need help in configuring Asus router with Netgear GLB-802c modem so as I would be able to share the same connection. I also want to know if the same connection can be shared on two computers or not? Please suggest some solutions.

Re: Need help in configuring Asus router with Netgear GLB-802c modem

To know if the Internet connection can be shared on two computers are not you will have to contact your Internet service provider. Some ISP's track the Mac address of the computers which are using their connection. Tracking the Mac addresses help the ISP's in differing the services to the computers connected to the network. If the ISP does not allow sharing of the Internet Connection then implementing any hardware to share the connection will not help in sharing the same connection on the two computers.

There is no need to connect an additional router to the modem to share the Internet connection on two computers. The Netgear modem comes with 4 Ethernet ports which can be used to connect upto 4 computers to the modem. The only problem is that you will have to connect the laptop to the modem using Wire. Get a straight ethernet cable and connect the laptop to the modem. Then contact the ISP and get a static IP for the laptop. Once the Static IP is known, open the network connection on the laptop and then enter the IP address in the TCP/IP properties. Also configure the DNS and the default gateway address by contacting the ISP. Once all the settings are done, apply them and click on OK.

The Netgear modem which you are using does both the function of the router as well as the modem. Hence you can use the Netgear as the main modem and the Asus router as a Wireless access point. You will have to configure the router as follows in order to use it as a Wireless Access point. Login to the router using the default IP address of the router and then enter the User name and password. Open the configuration page and disable the DHCP. Once the DHCP is disabled connect the modem to the router using Ethernet cable.

There is one more way in which you can connect the router and the modem together to share the connection. The modem can be used in brigded mode and router can be used as the main router. Connect the modem to the router using an ethernet cable. Now connect the console cable to the modem and then login to the modem. Now select the connection type as PPPoE and enter all the details of the subscription that you are using. Disable the DHCP and then save the settings. Now Connect one computer to the router using console cable and login to the router. Again select the connection type as PPPoE and enter all the details of the subscription that you are using. Now be sure that the DHCP on the router is enabled. Enable the WLAN in the router and then save the settings. Reboot the router and you will be able to connect the laptop to the router without any problems.

If the router which you are using has a DSL port then you can eliminate the use of the modem. First log in to the modem by connecting a computer to the modem using a console cable. Go in to the configuration of the modem and save all the settings of the modem in a Text file on the computer. Disconnect the modem and then connect the router to the computer and log in to it. Configure the router as per the settings of the modem. Enable the Wlan and then save the settings. Connect the DSL line to the router and connect the desktop computer to the router using CAT5 cable.