Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 25-01-2010

Netgear router creating problems while playing online

Hello there, I have a desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP operating system. I have a broadband connection which is provided to the computer using a Netgear router. The net connection works properly when I am using to surf the Internet but the Internet performance is very low when I try to play games online. The PING is very high due to which I get disconnected from the server many times. I think the router is not able to handle the traffic while gaming but I am not sure. Is anybody facing the Same problem with Netgear router while Playing online games? If yes then please share some information so that it will help me in solving the problem.
Old 25-01-2010

Re: Netgear router creating problems while playing online

The performance while playing online games differ depending on the location of the server. If the server is located in some other country then surely the latency and the Ping which you will be getting will be higher. Try connecting to some servers which are located in your country and then see if you are getting the same Ping and latency. Connecting to the local server will not create problems while playing online because the latency and the Ping will be much more lesser than while playing on servers located in some other country.
Old 25-01-2010

Sometimes it happens that the routers are not able to handle the traffic which leads to loss of data packets. If the rate of loss of the data packets are higher then the latency and the Ping while playing is high. Therefore check if the router is able to handle the traffic or not. Login to the router and check the packet data loss page for getting the information on the rate of loss of the data packets. Check the configuration again to see if there are any unwanted changes in it. Revert the changes if any and then see if the performance while playing online improves or not.
Old 25-01-2010

All the routers work on a software which is known as algorithm. Algorithm is nothing but the operating system of the router. Like any other software, the operating system of the router can also get stuck in some loop. If the software gets corrupted and is getting stuck, then the router will not be able to handle the traffic properly which leads to low performance while doing online tasks such as playing. To solve the problem connect the router to the computer using the console cable and then download the latest update of the firmware which is available for the model of the router which you are using. Once the update is downloaded, install it on the router and then check the performance while gaming.
Old 25-01-2010

I think the problem you are facing is due to Internet connection that you are using not because of the router. To be able to play the online games the speed of the link which is providing the bandwidth should be good. If you are trying to play online games then the connection speed should be good. If the connection is not good then you will not be able to play online properly. Take the online speed test for your Internet service provider and see if your connection is good enough for playing the games online.
Old 25-01-2010

Many of the Virus's use up all the network resources and hence the user is not able to achieve the full utilization of the Internet. I think your computer is infected with some virus which is taking up all the network resources. Scan the computer with some updated antivirus and check the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected and then see if the performance of the computer improves while playing online games or not. If you dont have an updated antivirus then use the free online scan facility which is provided by many of Antivirus solution providing companies.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , ,