Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Problem accessing DFS link through mapped drive in Windows 7

Networking & Security

Old 25-01-2010

Problem accessing DFS link through mapped drive in Windows 7

I have mapped a network drive to a DFS location manually. But when i try to open the mapped network drive through " My computer " it always shows the DFS links but to my surprise whenever i click one of the links i directs me back to "my computer" which shows my hard drive letter. sometimes it starts working instantly and sometime it takes around 6-8 minutes to start. i don't now Please help me in this matter.

Old 25-01-2010

Re: Problem accessing DFS link through mapped drive in Windows 7

You have not provided much information that will help me to implement something to get rid of this problem. So if you want me to give you a solution then please tell me what is the system of the server, Also please mention the whether the computers are in domain or in workgroup. After getting these information only i can try to give you a solution.
Old 25-01-2010

Thanks for replying me as you have asked me to furnish some more details. FYI my DFS shares are hosted on Windows 2003 R2. Also the group policies are set as LmCompatibilityLevel with the value 2 across all the clients and servers. If possible also tell me whether i require to enable LM. Please help me as soon as possible.
Old 25-01-2010

The problem here may be due to the authentication level. Since the default authentication levels in Windows 7 and Windows XP/Server 2003 are different. But in the newer versions of windows that is the Windows Vista and Windows 7 the level is version 2. So if you change the level in Windows 7 computers your problem will be solved.
Old 25-01-2010

This issue can be solved by changing the NTLM authentication level to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated after this go to run type regedit and press the enter key and fthen find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Now Create a DWORD key under Lsa and set:
Name: LmCompatibilityLevel
Value: 1
Then Restart the system
Old 25-01-2010

I think that you are facing this issue because of different authentication level of windows 7 and all other previous version of windows. Because the level is version 2 i both the windows 7 and windows Vista. So you will have to change the authentication level in windows 7. try to use the NTLMv2 session security if it is negotiated.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , ,