Thread: Why cant I play Star wars on LAN?

Why cant I play Star wars on LAN?

Hello people, I am facing a problem in which I need your help to solve it. I have a home network configured with 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop. All the computers have same operating system which is Windows Xp. All the computers are connected to a Single Netgear router. The problem is I am not able to play Star wars on LAN. Also I am not able to share the any files or folders on LAN. Please help me in this. Can the problem be with the Router?

Re: Why cant I play Star wars on LAN?

Have you installed any security software's on the computers? All the security software's have the basic tendency to block any traffic emerging from the computer or coming to the computer. This is to avoid any virus attack on the computers. If there are any security software's installed on the computer, disable the Real time shield and then see if you are able to play the Game on LAN or if you are able to share files or not. If any firewall is present then disable it while sharing the files or while playing the game. You can also move the process of the game to well known processes so that the firewall will not block it.

You will not be able to play the game on LAN if you have installed the same copy of the game on all the computers. Every computer game comes with a CD key with it. This key is required while installing the game on the computer. This key is to be sure that a single user is using the copy of the game. Hence when playing on the LAN if the same copy of the game is installed on all the computers, the computers will not be able to see each other. Get some different keys for all the copies of the game which are installed on all the computers. Once different keys are used for installing the game then you will be able to play the game on LAN.

To be able to share the files and folders on LAN, you will have to configure all the computers on the network to a same workgroup. Once all the Computers are configured for the same workgroup and domain, then they are visible to each other and hence files and folders can be shared without any problems. To make all the computers member of the same workgroup, right click on My computer and select properties. Now in the Computer Name tab, assign a name to the computer. Now click on the change button and select a name for the Workgroup and the Domain. Once all the names are entered apply the settings and then restart the computer. Do the following procedure on all the computers and then see if you are able to share the files or folders or not.

Are you sure that the File and printer sharing is enabled on the network which you are using? Just to be sure follow these steps :-
    1. Click on Start menu and select Network connections.
    2. Now select the Network on which you have to enable the file sharing.
    3. Right click on the network and then select properties.
    4. In the Properties, Check mark the option which Says "Enable File sharing on the Microsoft Network"
    5. Apply the settings and then click Ok.
    After all this settings are done check if you are able to share files on the LAN or not.

I was also facing the same problem while playing Star wars on LAN. I was not able to see the computers on my network, so I was not able to play the game on LAN. I searched for the solution and then figured out that NetBios should be enabled in order to play Star wars on LAN. Here are steps which will help you in enabling the NetBios :-
    a. Select and Right click on Network Neighborhood.
    b. Click on Properties
    c. Choose the connection on which you want to enable NetBios.
    d. Now select Properties.
    e. Now depending on your connection Dial-UP or PPP0E DSL
    1.Open Networking Tab.
    2.Enable the File and Printer sharing.
    3.Now select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on Properties.
    4. Select Advanced
    5. Select the WINS Tab.
    6. Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    Save and exit the Wizard. Hope the settings work for you.