Thread: How to share printer between Windows XP and Windows Vista

Hello,

I have 2 PC connect to the Livebox and I have no PB with internet on both machines.
    1 PC (Dell) very recent works under Vista and the 2nd (PC mounted in 2003) under XP.
    I want to share the Dell (connected by USB connection) from 1 PC with the second.
    I turn on sharing in the PC vista by the panel configuration, printer, printer sharing. Then I check the box printer sharing in the center of the network and sharing panel configuration.
    I have 3 checked in the center of networking and sharing:
    Network search, file sharing and printer sharing.
    I recover in the properties of the computer name and IP address.
    I then try to recognize the PC running under Windows XP and then with the IP address in starting, look ... but the PC is not detected!
    For info I am moving from Windows 98 to Vista and XP at the same time!
    The method may not be good, someone may therefore shed light my lantern?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Printer sharing between 1 PC vista and 1 XP PC connected by Livebox

Hi,

Is it not possible to connect the printer directly to the Livebox via a USB?

Re: Printer sharing between 1 PC vista and 1 XP PC connected by Livebox

Hi

did you test a ping between the two machines if so what is the result, if not a ping test and give us the result.

How to share printer between Windows XP and Windows Vista

I have bought a new HP laptop with vista pre-installed in it. It is connected to a 802 wireless network with 3 other computer, all ar Windows XP with service pack 2.
    From all PC's to all others I can ping to / and it works fine.
    The Windows Vista network map shows all the PC's (now I have added LLTD support to Windows XP)

When I try to share the HP 3110 printer on my desktop PC the other Windows Vista PC shows it is there but when I try to access it I get a "Access denied" message and although both PC's have the same user ID and password set.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    My style of writing has nothing to do with my intelligence or insubordination, but your comments have EVERYTHING to do with your ignorance.

Re: How to share printer between Windows XP and Windows Vista

Differences in File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista
    The default workgroup name in Windows Vista has been changed to WORKGROUP. In Windows® XP Home Edition, the default workgroup name is MSHOME. If you upgrade a computer running Windows XP Home Edition to Windows Vista, it will keep its existing workgroup name. However, new computers with Windows Vista can have a different workgroup name than the other computers on your network. With different workgroups, it takes more time and effort to view all of the computers on the network.

Windows Vista uses the Public folder, rather than the Shared Documents folder in Windows XP, to simplify file sharing. With Public folder sharing enabled, the public folders and all of the folders within the Public folder are automatically shared with the name Public. You do not have to configure file sharing on separate folders. You only have to either move or copy the file or folder you want to share on the network to the Public folder.

Windows Vista by default does not allow simple file sharing. Access to shared folders, including the public folder (if shared), requires a user name and password. Simple file sharing is enabled by default in Windows XP Home Edition.

Configuring File and Printer Sharing Behavior in Windows Vista
    • Setting the workgroup name to be the same as the other computers
    • Setting the network location type
    • Enabling file and printer sharing options

For more information go to this link.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version. A failure here needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, DHCP Client, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905087.aspx

Good link on Vista networking.

many hp computers come standard with norton internet security preloaded into them. i know because i own one myself and had this problem. later i found out that by using the windows firewall rather than the other i was allowed full access to even a win98 pc. it would be more helpful to the community if you backed up your insults with some actual information and had some experience with the problem. if you want to complain then go to symantec and ask for file sharing support in a later edition of their software. hopefully this helped anyone looking for a real answer.

I had the same problem and i found the way to solve it, it seems vista needs to authenticate the user login from XP with a password, so all you need to do, is create the same user that you´re using in XP in the Vista Machine and create a password, (if you don´t have a password in the vista machine it won´t work), when you surf trough The Computers @ My Network Places you´ll be able to surf trough the vista machine without problems because vista already authenticated the XP machine, try it and i´ll help if it doesn´t work, take care!