Thread: Port forwarding Issue in Nokia Siemens C2110

Port forwarding Issue in Nokia Siemens C2110

Hello there, I am facing this unusual problem with the Nokia Siemens C2110 ADSL modem and Utorrent. Whenever I use Utorrent to download any torrent, it gives me "Port forwarding error : Port not open". A friend of mine who has knowledge of Networking told me that the Modem is not able to Forward the ports properly and hence I am receiving this error. I dont know What Port forwarding is so if anybody can explain I would be really thankful. Also if anybody is facing Port forwarding Issue in Nokia Siemens C2110 modem then please share some information of about how to solve it. Thanks in Advance.

Re: Port forwarding Issue in Nokia Siemens C2110

I dont think the problem is with the modem. The application which you are using is probably not configured properly and hence it is creating problems while downloading torrents. It is possible that the application is not installed properly on the system. The files which are related to the port forwarding must not be present on the system and hence the ports cannot be opened. Uninstall the application and remove all the files and entries related to it from the computer. Once everything is deleted, download a fresh installation file and install the application again. If the application does not work then try using some other applications like Bit torrent or Ares and see if they are able to download the torrents or not.

Port forwarding or Port mapping is the procedure for forwarding the IP packets from one network to other. Port forwarding is mostly implemented when the data packets are to be transferred over NAT gateway to some private network. Port forwarding enables the communication between an external host and the member of some private network. Whenever the any application wants to send a data, its packets has the port number from which it was originated and where it should be terminated. The destination host is determined by the port number of the TCP/IP port number.

The computers belonging to the same network can send and receive data without any problems. But if the data has to be sent outside the network we require gateway devices like router. Router connects the internal network to external world. Hence the router has to Ip addressed one internal and one external. Whenever the data has to be sent outside the network, the host forwards the data to the router. Port forwarding simply tells the router to which host on the network the data has to be sent.

I was also facing the same problem with the Utorrent. It also displayed the error message "The Port cannot be opened due to Port forwarding issue". I searched a lot for the solution and then found out that, first you will have to find the ports which are being used by the Utorrent. Find the ports which are being used and then open the ports manually. To see which ports are being used by the Utorrent, open Utorrent and then open the Preferences. Now open the connection tab and then see the port which is being used by the utorrent and then open the port manually.

The problem which you are facing is due to the modem which you are using. Many routers and modems face problems with port forwarding. Here are the steps which will help you in solving the port forwarding issue with the Utorrent. 1. Setup Utorrent on the computer.
    2. Open Utorrent and then go to preferences.
    3. Go to connection tab and then check the Port on which the incoming traffic is coming.
    4. Now open the Network connection tab and click on the connection which is used to connect to Internet. Right click on it and select properties.
    5. Now select TCP/IP properties and then enter any static IP if the system is obtaining the IP dynamically.
    6. Now enter the IP address of the router/modem in the default gateway tab.
    7. Now open the Browser and log in to the router/modem.
    8. Now in the Configuration page, go to advanced page.
    9. In the Advance configuration page, select the Port forwarding.
    10. Now the browser will redirect you to Port forwarding page.
    11. In the application name, Click User defined and then type Utor
    12. Now type the Static IP of the computer which you have entered.
    13. Now enter the Port number of the port which is used by the Utorrent.
    and then click on apply.
    Now exit the wizard. Hope the post helps.