Thread: The trojan Win32/Helpeq.A has infected Acer Aspire laptop

The trojan Win32/Helpeq.A has infected Acer Aspire laptop

I have been using the Acer Aspire 5738 laptop. I have installed Windows Vista recently on my Acer Aspire 5738 laptop. The issue is with the trojan Win32/Helpeq.A. My Kaspersky anti virus is detecting this trojan. But it seems some how my anti virus is not able to delete it from my laptop. So how can I delete it from my laptop ?

Trojan Win32/Helpeq.A details

The Win32/Helpeq.A is a trojan downloader. The trojan downloader is intended on infecting the user machine to install the Browser Helper Object which contains a malicious code. On infecting the user machine the web browser is redirected to malicious web sites and also display unnecessary pop-ups. There are no symptoms that are yet detected to verify the presence of this trojan downloader on a user machine.

Make use of the Winodws System Re-store

The trojan can be removed by making use of the Windows System Restore utility. This utility will help you to setup your system to a stable state without any malicious content in it by selecting a Safe Restore point. Thus when the System Restore utility prompts to make a Safe Point selection make a selection where there was not malicious content present on the system. Also make a note that the Restore will undo all your action uptill the selected Safe Point.

Boot your computer to safe mode

The Windows operating system includes a booting mode named as safe mode. The safe mode booting disables all third party software in your system. If the normal booting mode does not detects the infection, then using the safe mode can be very much helpful. To boot your system in safe mode restart your system and press the F8 key. Once in Safe mode run a full system scan to detect and delete any possible threat.

Restore Infected

I booted my Acer Aspire 5738 laptop to safe mode. The icons on the desktop appeared a bit larger in size. Once booted in Safe Mode then I used my Kaspersky anti virus which again detected Win32/Helpeq.A Trojan. But the scan also informed that the restore points were infected. When I tried to restore my Acer Aspire 5738 laptop, I could not restore as the restore points were indeed infected or corrupted. How should I remove this trojan ?

Format your Windows Drive

The trojan probably has made its was to your system registry. Once the trojan makes an entry in the registry it can then execute itself every time the system restart or boot-in. Also as the trojan as infected the restore point, you would not be able to restore your computer. I would suggest you to make a backup of your required data and format your Windows Drive(generally the C Drive). This will help you clean the trojan out from your computer.