Thread: Problem with Dlink DIR600 router

Problem with Dlink DIR600 router

I have recently bought a Dlink DIR600 router I use to connect different computers are my home to a single internet connection. It was working fine till now but suddenly the router is not allowing me to access the configuration settings. Whenever I connect through the router, only the power light is green and no other lights on the router blink. Also the router has assigned itself IP which belongs to 169.X.X.X subnet which used to be 192.x.x.x before the problem started. Because of this Problem with Dlink DIR600 router I am not able to access the Internet. So if anybody is facing same problem as I am facing then Please share some information. All the Computers on the network are running on Windows XP. Is the router faulty? Or some other device is creating this problem?

Re: Problem with Dlink DIR600 router

Looking at the problem it seems that the configuration of the router has some how changed and the router needs to be reconfigured again. If you are not able to access the router using the default IP then use the Console cable to access the router. The priority of the console cable is higher and hence it will help you in accessing the router. Once the console cable is connected to the router, open the hyperterminal and establish the connection with the router. Once connection is established, the system will prompt for Username and password. Enter the correct information and then change the configuration accordingly. After changing the configuration, reboot the router.

Have you tried resetting the router to the factory settings? Sometimes it happens that the router does not respond to the network command properly and hence needs to resetted. As you have mentioned that the router is not allowing you to access the configuration, reset the router to the factory settings and then see if you are able to access the routers configuration by login into the router. Every router has a factory restore button which when pressed brings the router back to the original factory settings. Locate this button and press it to restore the router.

Try this and let me know if it works. This method of troubleshooting is known as Full Power cycle.
    1) Shut down all the computers and devices which are connected to the router.
    2) Shut down the Router.
    3) Shut down the modem.
    4) Disconnect all the connecting cables connecting the router and the computers.
    5) Wait for sometime and then reconnect all the wires again.
    6) Now first Switch on the modem and let it become stable.
    7) Once the modem is stable, power on the router and let it stabilize.
    8) After the router stabilizes, power on the computers one by one.
    Hope after doing these steps, the router will work properly.

Every router works on an algorithm which is nothing but a software. This software can be said to be the operating system of the router. Like any other software the operating system of the router also can get corrupt due to many reasons. If the software gets corrupt, the router will not work properly and will create problems like the one you are facing. First download the update of the firmware for the router on some other PC which has internet connection. Download the firmware which will be supported by the model of the router you are using. Now connect the router to this PC using Console cable and then update the firmware on it. Updating the firmware will solve the Issue for sure.

I think the router is faulty and needs to be replaced. Even if the firmware of the router gets corrupt, it will allow the user to see the configuration of the network. As you are not able to see the configuration also, it is possible that the router has developed some faults. Contact the Dlink support and tell them about the symptoms which you are facing. They will help you in diagnosing the problem as the product is manufactured by them.