Thread: Locking hard drive using bitlocker

Locking hard drive using bitlocker

I am having windows 7 installed on my system also i am using a windows 7 bitlocker to encrypt my secondary hard drive, i have unlocked this drive successfully with my password. But now i don't know how to relock this hard drive again. i can lock it only by restarting the system. The real problem is that when you log in as different user the drive is unlocked. please help me in locking the hard drive again using bitlocker in windows 7.

Re: Locking hard drive using bitlocker

Hi friend i also tried to achieve this myself but could not find any solution so i think that this is a kind of potential security bug. I tried to sort it out with my friends but could not find any solutions so that i can lock the drive. So for the time being i restart my system every time so that after restarting it gets locked automatically.

Hey, Let me tell you that this is not any kind of potentail security bug. Because you can lock your hard drive quiet easily by using some very simple commands on the command line interface
    Let us consider you want to lock the drive with the letter J then you will have to write the following command in to your command prompt in order to lock this hard drive

manage-bde -lock J: and the rest is done that your hard drive will be locked.

As far as i know you must use a cmd file to relock these drives again using the bitlocker ro in the command prompt typ in the following commands
    C:\Windows\system32>copy con lockdrive.cmd
    manage-bde -lock X:
    manage-bde -lock Y:
    ^Z [press CTRL-Z]
    Replace the letter X and Y to the corresponding letter of the drive on your system and make a short cut to this lockdrive.cmd file also check the "run as administrtor" checkbox
    Last edited by Zachary; 22-01-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Open the cmd.exe as administrator . i.e. run cmd.exe as administrator by right click and run as in the start menu and type

manage-bde -lock z:

where the Z is the letter of the drive which you want to lock using the bitlocker. If you want this in a more easier way you can try to make a bat or batch file and just execute it.

For locking the hard drive again with the bit locker you might have to type some simple commands within the command prompt. So go to the run within the start menu now right click on it and select run as administrator in the command prompt type the following command which i have mentioned below without the double quotes

manage-bde -lock O:

Replace the letter " O " with the drive you want to lock

Great article giving in-depth informatation about bitlocker!

I just wanted to clarify one small issue.

I have 2 partitions, one primary partition which has Win 7 Ultimate and another secondary hard drive.

The secondary hard drive has to be unlocked with a password each time the computer restarts, but the primary hard drive does not give me an option to password protect it? Is this because we cannot password protect the primary drive as it is the partition containing windows 7?

Also, I have temporarily removed bit locker encryption for the time being on my c drive because everytime my computer boots it asks for the recovery key usb. I think this is because my bios is not updated but I have the latest update of bios for my Sony Vaio. I even tried suspending and resuming encryption but still I had to insert the USB during every startup!

Thanks in anticipation for your reply!