Thread: How to connect Compaq Presario CQ45 to Wireless network?

How to connect Compaq Presario CQ45 to Wireless network?

Hello, I have recently bought a Compaq Presario CQ45 laptop which is installed with Windows XP service pack 2 on it. The Laptop is wireless enabled. I have an Internet connection which is connected to my desktop computer through a router. I want to share the same internet connection with my new laptop as the router is Wireless enabled. Therefore I want to know How to connect Compaq Presario CQ45 to Wireless network? I need guidance in connecting the Laptop to the network as I dont have much of an Idea in networking. The router which I am using is Linksys Wireless router. Please help.

Re: How to connect Compaq Presario CQ45 to Wireless network?

First you will have to contact your Internet service provider and see if they allow sharing of the same internet connection on two computers. Many of the Internet service provider do not allow the sharing of the same connection on more than one computer. The ISP's keep track of the MAC address of the device which is connected to its link for accessing internet. Keeping Track of the MAC address helps the ISP in differing services to only one computer. Therefore first check if the ISP allows sharing or not then only try to connect the laptop to the network.

If your Internet provider allows the sharing of the connection, here what to do to connect the Laptop to the network. First log in to the router and enable the WLAN on it. To log in to the router, enter the default address of the router in the address bar. The default address of the router can be found out in the user manual. Mostly the default IP address of the router is 192.168.0.1. Once the default IP address is entered in the address bar, the system will prompt for the user name and password. Once the correct user name and password are entered, you will be redirected to configuration page. Enable the Wlan and select the authentication and password. Once the configuration is done, save it. Now search for available networks from the laptop and then enter password when the name of the network is shown.

You can connect the laptop to the router using the Wired connection. Any wireless router has wired ports also, therefore it can be used to connect more than one PC. Take an Ethernet straight cable and then connect the laptop to the router using it. Once the router and the laptop are connected, you can configure the network connections manually. Configure the IP address of both the computers in the same subnet and then put the IP address of the router as the default gateway on both the computers. Once all the configurations are done, save them. Now the LAN will disable momentarily and will enable again. Once the LAN is enabled, you will be able to use the Internet connection on the Laptop.

To connect the laptop using Wireless connection, first the router has to enabled to run the DHCP server on it. DHCP server is responsible for assigning the IP addresses to the devices which are connected to the router using wireless connection. If the DHCP is not enabled then the laptop will not be able to connect to the router. To enable the DHCP, first log in to the router, enter the username and password. Go to configuration page and enable the DHCP server. save the settings and then reboot the router.