Thread: Difference between COD4 Steam servers and Normal servers

Difference between COD4 Steam servers and Normal servers

I'm planning to buy a new COD4 Steam servers. But i would like to know that would i be able to see others servers, i f i go for COD4 Steam servers. I mean to say that if my server is been created in a Normal COD4 server browser, then would i be able to see other Normal server. Can any one tell me that what is the difference between COD4 Steam servers and Normal servers? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Difference between COD4 Steam servers and Normal servers

According to me, if you want you can play with people using the stream version of the game as well as the non-steam version. I recently purchased CoD4 on steam, and after a week of owning it I convinced my buddy to buy it, however he bought a retail version.

Bandwidth and server resource usage should be lower than that of COD2 in most situations, but it is not guaranteed. You should be able to connect to the same games, regardless if it was bought on steam. There are some situations where bandwidth usage may spike, and the server will get hit harder than usual. Generally, if you're capable of hosting a COD2 dedicated server you should be just fine for COD4.

You should be able to play with him. I recently used steam and even though you buy the games from it, they still use the same servers as retail copies. Apart from that you can make a .bat file to manually back your .stat files so if they get deleted you can just rename your saved file to the original name and have your stats back. I have played with friends in the same situation as you. Maybe its a patching issue? Make sure you both are up-to-date on the version of the game.

Are you on the same network? Also are you typing in console /connect "IP ADDRESS" or just trying to find the server? I suggest you turn SPI on. Set the filtering for both TCP and UDP to port and address restricted. In this case, it'll cause it to block any other connection, except for connections that you already have.

You can play online with Steam users as well. I think it uses the same servers so it doesn't really matter. You guys could try out using xfire which will show which server hes playing in. I have cod4 setup on my steam list even tho I didn't buy it just so my friends can view when i'm playing.