Thread: How to Connect Powerbook to iBook using router?

How to Connect Powerbook to iBook using router?

Hello, I have an Powerbook G5 which is installed with Mac OS X 10.4 on it. I access internet using the Powermac through a router. The router has wireless capability. The problem is whenever I try to connect my Ibook to the router, it gives an error saying incorrect password entered. I cant figure out what the problem is I dont have much of an idea of networking. Therefore If anybody knows how to connect Powerbook G5 to iBook using router please let me know.

Re: How to Connect Powerbook to iBook using router?

I would suggest you to first check the configuration of the home network. It is possible that the configuration of the network have changed which is not allowing the new computer to join. Check the configuration and do the necessary settings which are required to connect more than one computer to the router. Once the configuration is done, save the settings and then see if the iBook is able to connect to the network or not. After properly configuring the network you wont face any problems while connecting the ibook to powerbook G5.

Many Internet service providers do not allow more than one computer to share the internet connection. Contact the ISP and then confirm it if you are allowed to share the internet connection or not. If the ISP does not allow two computers to share the internet connection then there would be no use in connecting the iBook to the router. If the ISP allows the sharing the same internet connection between two computers then get the settings required from the ISP and configure your network according to it.

The problem you are facing is due to the encryption of the network. First be sure that the password you are entering is right. To be confirm about it, change the authentication password and see if the iBook can connect to the network or not. If changing the password does not help, then you will have to change the encryption of the Network from WEP to WPA as the modern OS X does not support WEP encryption. To change the encryption and the password, you will have to login to the router and then change the configuration. To log in to the router you will be needing the default IP of the router which can be found out from the user manual.

If the Wireless connectivity is not working for connecting the Ibook and Powerbook you can try to connect the Ibook to the router using wire. Take a Ethernet (CAT 5) straight cable and connect the ibook to router. One end of the cable will go to the Lan card of the ibook and other end will go to the empty port of the router. Now open the Network preferences and configure the IP address if the Ibook and Powerbook manually. Put the IP address of the Powerbook and iBook belonging to the same subnet and put the default gateway address as the IP address of the Router. Hopefully you will be able to connect the iBook to Powerbook using this method.

Check if the router is configured so as to run the DHCP server. DHCP server is very essential in wireless communication as the Device which is connected wirelessly needs an IP address which has to assigned dynamically. It is possible that the router is not configured to run the DHCP server and hence you are not able to connect the iBook as no IP address is assigned to it. Once the DHCP server is enabled on the router, you will be able to connect the iBook to Powerbook G5 using the router.